[At-Large] ICANN blog : US Government Opposes Launch of New gTLD Program in Cartagena

Dev Anand Teelucksingh admin at ttcsweb.org
Fri Dec 3 01:53:17 UTC 2010

http://blog.icann.org/2010/12/us-government-opposes-launch-of-new-gtld-program-in-cartagena/
US DoC letter : http://forum.icann.org/lists/5gtld-guide/pdf4SSmb5oOd5.pdf

US Government Opposes Launch of New gTLD Program in Cartagena
by Rod Beckstrom

We appreciate the many comments received so far on the draft Applicant
Guidebook in its five full versions. We thank the community and all
who contributed for their engagement, thoughts and opinions during the
course of this process.

One of the most recent comments we have received is a letter today
from the US Department of Commerce (DoC).

ICANN’s success and legitimacy derive from the multistakeholder model,
the basis on which new gTLD policy was developed. The policy process
decision to undertake this program was approved by the GNSO Council in
2007 and adopted by ICANN’s board of directors in 2008.

In the Affirmation of Commitments, the US government and ICANN
reconfirmed our mutual commitment to the multistakeholder model. ICANN
confirmed our commitment to solicit public comment and to hear all
voices.

As with all contributions, ICANN will give DoC’s comments careful
consideration as part of the implementation of the GNSO policy.