[At-Large] NYTimes : U.S. Shuts Down Web Sites in Piracy Crackdown

Bill Silverstein icann-list at sorehands.com
Fri Dec 3 00:13:47 UTC 2010

As a person who has seized domain names through legal process, I must
disagree with you.

While the seizing1 of a domain name does effect all services with that
domain name, it is not a risk of collateral damage to innocents. In your
analogy, it is more like taking all containers which have stickers on the
outside that states, "Property of Pirate Inc."  It is also possible to
take the domain name, and recreate the DNS records for the non-web
services.

Now if the police come in and seize the server, which could handle
hundreds of other web sites, that would be a server of another color.