[At-Large] [ALAC] TR: ANNOUNCEMENT : Results from Round 2 voting for At-Large selected Board Member for seat #15 of ICANN Board

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 1 17:21:38 UTC 2010

On 01/12/2010 17:36, Alan Greenberg wrote :
> At 01/12/2010 11:05 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>>> I've always considered CoI to mean financial interest or, if defined more
>>> broadly, attachment to an organization that has a financial or regulatory
>>> relationship with ICANN.
>> Those are the only interpretations used by any board I've ever been on.
>>
>> The idea that board members can only vote on topics they don't care about
>> is truly strange.
> I will repeat, this is something I was cautioned about and I passed
> it on when Evan had said that availability was the only issue. It may
> be a completely spurious tale, so let's not get too worked up about
> it until Sebastien finds out if it is indeed an issue or not.

Actually, I have heard the same thing too! Or rather, I have argued with
a Board member about this. The gist of the problem stems from a Board
member's limited time to indulge in the nitty-gritty, thus preventing it
from forming its opinions as a helicopter view. In that Board member's
view, Board members should act like "members of a Board", that is, not
mingle half as much with the communities, to "waste less time".
I disagreed vehemently. IMHO this is a remnant of 20th century top-down
hierarchical management and has no place in the bottom-up integrative
management which ICANN has been *designed* to thrive on.
And there, your honour, lies the root of the fracture in ICANN.
:-)

Warmest regards,

Olivier

--