[At-Large] "Business" users (was Re: FW: Our choice for the ICANN Board)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Nov 28 08:51:06 UTC 2010

On 11/27/2010 10:19 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I often wonder if registrants are sufficiently represented in ICANN as
> stakeholders

"Registrants" have contracts that define their rights and duties.

It is a shame, and indeed worse - it is scandalous - that ICANN does not
grant to registrants what are called "third party beneficiary" rights
that would allow registrants to require Registrars and Registries to
live up to the obligations imposed upon them by their own contracts with
ICANN.

But at least registrants have some grounds to stand upon; they have
"standing" to be recognized and heard.

Internet users within ICANN have none.

ICANN's policies are often justified from the effect of a given practice
not on name registrants but on internet users and other third parties.
For example the huge brouhaha about Verisign's Sitefinder was largely
argued on the basis of how it would impact internet users rather than
name registrants.  Similarly, whois policy is argued by ICANN on reasons
pertaining to trademark protection and law enforcement, neither of which
are necessarily registrants.

In such an ICANN who is there to speak for these users and third
parties?  For users the answer is no one.  (For law enforcement and
trademark protection ICANN has created welcome mats.)

Looking at the at-large as a mouthpiece for name registrants is to
essentially subtract from its power to be a voice for internet users.

Moreover, ICANN's role encompasses more than domain names; ICANN also
covers IP addresses.  An IP addresses is a more basic requirement for
internet use than is a domain name.  An ICANN at large that sees itself
only in the reflected light of domain names is an ICANN at-large that is
walking on one leg and fighting with one arm.

By-the-way, in my dictionary the word "stakeholder" is a pejorative - it
is a polite bundling of Freddy the Pig's line in Animal Farm that some
animals are more equal than others.

We have seen in ICANN how the "stakeholder" game gives some people
multiple voices - as registries and registrars and technicians and
intellectual property protectors and commercial groups - in addition to
whatever voice they may have as natural people.  That contrary to the
democratic idea that to one man/woman goes one vote and only one vote.

	--karl--