[At-Large] Libya terminating unacceptable .ly domains

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Fri Oct 8 12:37:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:45:05 +0530, Sivasubramanian M
<isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Censorship has been around for centuries in many societies. First, they
>> burned books. Then, they jammed radio and TV signals.
>> Now, they filter the Internet. Nothing new under the sun. How to solve
>> that is another debate.
>

> How?

Dear Siva,

What I meant is that the issues of censorship, freedom of expression,
democracy, etc are mostly out of scope in ICANN, short maybe of those
related to objectionable TLD strings that have been debated for a long
time. Such issues need to be addressed in the more global fight for
human rights through other organizations. If I had the magic formula
that would stop censorship and reinstate tolerance and democracy, I
would gladly share it. Alas, I don't.

Patrick