[At-Large] Libya terminating unacceptable .ly domains

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 12:15:05 UTC 2010

Dear Patrick Vande Walle,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Patrick Vande Walle
<patrick at vande-walle.eu>wrote:

> Siva,
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> Many ccTLDs do much better than gTLDs on several aspects. WHOIS policy
> is one example.
> National Internet exchanges do a great job at saving international
> bandwidth by allowing local peering. This makes Internet access cheaper
> locally.
> IDNs are needed for those populations which do not wish to suffer the
> latin alphabet imperialism.

I agree.  I said the same thing about the good side of ccTLDs, National
Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs in my response to Evan's message on this
thread earlier. So I am very much in agreement with you on all these points,
yet, I have concerns that ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs
have MIGHT make it easier for some or many national governments to barricade
their national Internet space.  I said it might happen, Evan responded by
saying that it is already happening and provided an example.

> I am not aware of christian countries - if such a thing exists, most
> are secularized societies - banning sites based on expressed religious
> faith. can you share some examples ?

No, such a thing does not exist. I was trying to explain that the Internet
would become fragmented if politically, religiously or linguistically
divided.

> Censorship has been around for centuries in many societies. First, they
> burned books. Then, they jammed radio and TV signals.
> Now, they filter the Internet. Nothing new under the sun. How to solve
> that is another debate.

How?

> However, I am afraid one cannot expect to "save
> the Internet" as such. Mentalities regarding censorship as a concept
> need to be changed.

We may not be able to preserve the Internet as a space totally free of any
form of oversight, but the core values can be saved to a large extent, if we
keep working.

Thank you Patrick.