[At-Large] Libya terminating unacceptable .ly domains

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 07:36:59 UTC 2010

Evan before I respond to your message, I must expand on my own message:

The network of networks wouldn't be Internet if it becomes a network of
> national networks.  ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs are the
> greatest threats to Internet.

ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs - each has its own
rationale and purpose. ccTLDs in a way expanded the Domain Name System and
paved the way for Registries worldwide, instead of almost the entire DNS
concentrated in one country. National Internet Exchange points provided the
answer to an unfair system of peering whereby someone in Kenya paid both his
email inward and outward. Though not scientifically researched and
established, National Internet Exchanges would even reduce the carbon foot
print, by controlling wasteful hops. IDN TLDs would make it easier for the
non-English speaking people to connect to the Internet. (But there could be
a system whereby the IDN DNS remains within the International DNS, and a
system whereby IDN TLDs are intelligible to the English users)

In spite of the rationale and purpose as indicated above, I stand by my
statement that "The network of networks wouldn't be Internet if it becomes a
network of national networks.  ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN
TLDs are the greatest threats to Internet."

Some of my comments to your message inline as below:

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> On 8 October 2010 02:48, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Will Internet be Internet if Muslim countries ban sites with porn
> content,
> > Hindu countries ban sites that have anything to do with beef or veal,
> Jewish
> > countries ban sites with pictures of fish without scales and  Christian
> > nations ban sites from every other religion ?
> >

> You speak as if this hasn't already started.
>
> There are many countries in the mideast that already have a blanket ban on
> the ".il" TLD, regardless of content.
>
> The censorship of major second-level domains in China is well known --
> whether the motivation is religious or political is irrelevant to me, as
> (in
> my personal opinion) in this context religion *is* politics. And even the
> bastion of freedom is making its own censorship
> plans<http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5334/135/>

While Middle East or China are noticed for their National activism, US is
usually more subtle. It professes Internationalism but is excessively
steered by its own National Interests. It professes a commitment to freedom
but happens to be thorough in its policies and practices to curtail freedom.

> > The network of networks wouldn't be Internet if it becomes a network of
> > national networks.  ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs are
> > the
> > greatest threats to Internet.
> >

> Then we must allow hundreds of gTLDs to blossom in their place :-)

Not necessarily hundreds, but enough to expand the Internet out of bounds of
the .com space. In such a way that the control of the DNS moves out of
national space.