[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Fri Sep 10 10:49:50 UTC 2010

Just because it can be done does not mean it should. There is a practical distinction to be drawn to successfully manage public trust between those structures for board members who are executives (C level etc) and those who are non executive or Trustees.

I sense it would be a disaster if ICANN paid its Trustee board members because it would increase scope for erosion of public trust and tendency for mission creep. But I have no problem with paying C level executives who have board seats. In ICANN that is only the President if I remember correctly. I am also seeing proposals that the Chair be shifted perhaps optionally depending on the Chair at the time from a non executive to an executive role and so be paid for that job.

There are implications not least for the President role if this happens but that is something that the board has to address.

Karl's point about establishing an expenses plan that properly supports Trustees (for liability insurance and other issues, legal, community and technical briefings so as to arrive at sensible characterisation of issues to be voted on) is excellent as reinforces the ability of Trustees to be effective representatives and board members.

Christian

P.S., ICANN board members are supposed to be paid professionals selected by supporting organisations. The operative word here is "support". They should support (sponsor) the trustees they select even if they vote as independents they still have the placement.