[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Aug 30 20:54:41 UTC 2010

On 08/30/2010 01:01 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> On 30 August 2010 09:29, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond<ocl at gih.com>  wrote:

> - Outreach is ultimately a shared responsibility that requires ICANN's
> active support.

I very much disagree.

If ICANN allowed the public a role that had merit and strength then
there would be an overflow of interest and participation - we saw that
happen in year 2000.

And we see that happen for the industrial "stakeholder" inside ICANN
that there is no shortage of participatory people and energy.  That's
because those industrial interests have "a stake" whereas ICANN has made
sure that natural people who use the net are over-categorized,
over-grouped, and over-managed into impotency.

Put the promised 50%+ of ICANN's board seats up for public election from
slates of candidates who need pass no insider nomination process and I
guarantee you that the public participation in ICANN would go up by many
orders of decimal magnitude.

ICANN's "reform" of year 2002 and 2003 was intentionally designed to
debilitate the public in ICANN.  It has worked.

	--karl--