[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 24 17:46:46 UTC 2010

My main concern for a board nominee is to find someone with the personal
and organizational skills to be effective.  ICANN's board has long
standing problems both with internal dysfunction and a chronic inability
to supervise the staff.  To pick a couple of obvious examples, the board
has never spent the two minutes to pass a motion to appoint an ombudsman
as required by the bylaws (preferably someone other than Frank), and
although I don't have any direct insight into the dithering over .XXX, I
got the impression of a group that couldn't come up with a process to lead
to a result.

Avri's background is great, but I don't think I know her well enough to
say how she'd do in this particular maelstrom.

R's,
John