[At-Large] Questions regarding nomination and board positions

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Tue Aug 24 07:03:25 UTC 2010

Dear Manuel,

Thank you for your presentation of Wikimedia CH to the At-Large community
and for your interest in the At-Large Director position. Please find our
answers to questions 1,4 and 5 below.

--
Regards,

Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White,
Marilyn Vernon, Kristina Nordström
ICANN At-Large Staff

email: staff[at]atlarge.icann.org
website: www.atlarge.icann.org

On 23/08/2010 19:52, "Manuel Schneider" <manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> dear staff,
>
> thanks for the ICANN usb stick with documents. It was very interesting
> to look through them.
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity as a newbie to ask some questions to
> which I didn't find answers yet in the ongoing discussions on the
> mailinglist as well as in the documents I got.
>
> To introduce our ALS and myself, I am contact person for the newly
> recognized ALS Wikimedia CH, one of the national chapters of the
> Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organisation behind the Wikimedia
> projects such as Wikipedia, Wikinews, Wikibooks, Wiktionary etc. Myself
> is a studied IT engineer with an interest in free and open source
> software and corresponding social movements. As I am running a
> serverhosting business since eleven years I had to deal with ICANN's
> topics before, while I was never involved in ICANN before we decided to
> become an ALS with Wikimedia CH. Within Wikimedia I am working with
> Wikimedia Deutschland (as I am german) and am a founding member of
> Wikimedia CH (as I live on the boarder to Switzerland). Beside technical
> interest (hosting Wikimedia platforms for chapters in Switzerland,
> Austria and Israel) my main interest is the multicultural aspect of
> Wikimedia and running global projects be it organising conferences,
> spreading Wikimedia content in the global south or developing the
> Wikimedia organisation.
>
> As a newbie to ICANN I am still interested and curious in the mechanics,
> roles and goals of the different ALSes and holder of the various ICANN
> positions. So I am trying to follow the ongoing discussions, which is
> not very easy.
>
> These questions refer to both upcoming elections in the EURALO and ICANN
> board.
>
> * what are criteria to be nominated or elected into one of these board
> positions? Can someone point me to a document where they are described?

You can find the requirements and criteria for this position under:
https://st.icann.org/absdt/index.cgi?director_s_criteria

> * what kind of persons are supposed to be nominated / elected into these
> board positions? Are you looking for experienced ICANN / ALAC members or
> persons rooted in the community, defending interests of the users, like
> a counterweight to the commercial background of other board members?
>
> * how is a board mandate handled? Is this a political mandate which
> requires the feedback to and from the community or is it a personal
> position where board members represent themselves and are only
> accountable to their own conviction?
>
> * how are the selected candidates validated? How are nomination -
> self-nominations and such by other members - handled? Is there any
> difference, is there any consideration of RALO recommendations?

The At-Large Director Selection Process will need final approval by the
ICANN Board. The ALAC Final Recommendations on the At-Large Director
Selection Process which were submitted to the Board can be found under:
<https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/working-groups/attachments/at_large_di
rector_appointment_process:20100726033157-0-1902/original/ALAC%20Final%20Rec
omendations%20on%20At-Large%20Community%20Director%20Selection%20Process-09J
un2010.pdf>

In particular, we would like to draw your attention to recommendation 2 on
director criteria, recommendation 3 on creation of list of candidates and
recommendation 4 on the electorate.

> What I wonder is how I as a newbie can choose a trustworthy candidate
> who represents my ALS and our community to which we feel accountable to.
> Maybe the answers to the questions above will shed more light on this
> process.

All applicants were required to submit a Statement of Interest which
contains a large section which will be made publicly available after the end
of the application period on September 6th. You can review the SOI under:
https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/working-groups/attachments/at_large_dir
ector_candidate_2010_workspace:20100721141314-1-8258/original/Online%20State
ment%20of%20Interest%20-%20EN.pdf