[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Khaled KOUBAA khaled.koubaa at topnet.tn
Sat Aug 21 14:12:01 UTC 2010

Le 21/08/2010 14:11, Evan Leibovitch a écrit :
> There are a few issue mentioned here that are worth addressing:
>
> - As we can only pick one person to speak for At-Large on the Board,  we
> don't have the luxury of affecting its gender, racial or regional
> diversity.  The NomCom is already charged with this.  It is critical that we
> pick the best possible advocate of user interests possible.  Especially in
> this inaugural role,  there is little opportunity for any secondary
> objective.

Evan,
I know that you are one of those that have always defended non-English
speakers. But here I am not understanding you very well.
1- we are not here speaking about gender nor racial nor diversity on
other basis rather the first and more important element imposed by the
bylaws which the regional balance.
2- I don't consider the regional balance as "Lux" but it is "vital"
3- I am sure that you agree that there is may be someone in "Less
Considered Regions" the "Best possible advocate".

> - Not having an "insider" is a worthy idea,  but the fact of the matter is
> that existing insiders have a provable public record of interest and skill
> in ICANN affairs and a track record of end-user advocacy. Those are,
> whether we like it or not,  very strong qualities in a candidate. While it
> is a nice --- one could even say romantic --- notion to have a complete
> outsider come in and serve the role well,  a known history of awareness and
> passion cannot and should not count against someone.

I have seen many "non insider" new board member appointed by NomCom
becoming very strong board members.