[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Aug 21 13:11:41 UTC 2010

There are a few issue mentioned here that are worth addressing:

- As we can only pick one person to speak for At-Large on the Board,  we
don't have the luxury of affecting its gender, racial or regional
diversity.  The NomCom is already charged with this.  It is critical that we
pick the best possible advocate of user interests possible.  Especially in
this inaugural role,  there is little opportunity for any secondary
objective.

- Not having an "insider" is a worthy idea,  but the fact of the matter is
that existing insiders have a provable public record of interest and skill
in ICANN affairs and a track record of end-user advocacy. Those are,
whether we like it or not,  very strong qualities in a candidate. While it
is a nice --- one could even say romantic --- notion to have a complete
outsider come in and serve the role well,  a known history of awareness and
passion cannot and should not count against someone.

- Evan (sent from my Android phone)

On 21 Aug 2010 08:40, "Patrick Vande Walle" <patrick at vande-walle.eu> wrote:

On 20 Aug 2010, at 23:55, Annette Muehlberg wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is a very special moment:...
Nothing against Avri personnally, but I thought the whole idea was to avoid
choosing ICANN insiders and bring new blood to the Board.
I would say we should avoid choosing anyone who has been on an AC or SO for
the last 3 years (and this includes current and recent ALAC members and RALO
leaders).

Patrick Vande Walle