[APAC-Discuss] Your inputs requested on the Travel Policy before 17 April EOD

Mohammad Abdul Haque mahaqueanu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 10:59:44 UTC 2024

Dear Amrita,

Regarding the current situation with the pilot travel plan, it's crucial to
ensure transparency and inclusivity in decision-making processes. APRALO's
stance of accepting the pilot plan as a one-time measure while advocating
for broader discussion and agreement among all RALOs is commendable. Here
are my views on the questions posed:

1. Prior Deliberation: Extensive deliberation is essential for any future
travel policy. It ensures that the concerns and perspectives of all
stakeholders, including ALAC members and RALOs, are considered. The pilot
plan should serve as a catalyst for these discussions rather than a final
decision.

2. Flexible Metrics: Metrics for travel allocation should indeed be
flexible and region-specific. Allowing RALOs to devise their own metrics
ensures that the policy reflects the diverse needs and circumstances of
each region. Agreement on metrics should precede implementation to ensure
fairness and buy-in.

3. Reciprocity: It's reasonable to expect reciprocity in travel slot
allocation across regions. Fairness dictates that when one region receives
additional slots for a meeting, the same opportunity should be extended to
others in the future. This promotes equity and strengthens collaboration
among RALOs.

4. Rotation System: Maintaining the rotation system for the allotted seat
demonstrates APRALO's commitment to fairness and inclusivity. This ensures
that all members have the opportunity to participate in ICANN meetings,
contributing to diversity and representation.

In conclusion, APRALO's approach of advocating for broader consultation and
flexibility in the travel policy is commendable. It promotes fairness,
transparency, and collaboration within the At-Large community.

Best regards,

Mohammad Abdul Haque Anu
Secretary General
Bangladesh Internet Governance Forum