[APAC-Discuss] Call for topics -ME Space at ICANN 69

Nadira Alaraj nadira.araj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 11:47:19 UTC 2020

Dear APRALO Community,

The Middle East Space <https://icannwiki.org/ICANN_ME_SPACE> will organize
a virtual session at ICANN 69 on Tuesday 20 October 2020.

Since the Middle East region is in the cross regional between two RALOs, I
would like to encourage APRALO members that belongs to any of the countries
(*Afghanistan*, Algeria, *Bahrain*, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, *Iran*, *Iraq*,
*Jordan*, *Kuwait*, *Lebanon*, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, *Oman*, *Pakistan,
Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia,* Somalia, Sudan, *Syria*, *Turkey*,
Tunisia, *United Arab Emirates, and Yemen*) -if interest-, to get engage in
the ME Space activity for preparing a position statement to be discussed at
ICANN 69.

As per the timelines for the ME Space towards the virtual session at ICANN
69 included below, *this is a call for topics that you find preferable to
be addressed for ICANN 69.*

As you know, the objective of this space is to address hot topics under
discussion in ICANN and provide a consensus position of the region
thereupon to the ICANN Board and all other concerned parties.

Today, we have the Draft Final Report of the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures
PDP working group under public comments that will close unfortunately on 30
September, 20 days before our session. So we wouldn't be able to put our
position agreed on during the session on the public comment platform.

This report is of great importance especially regarding the community
applications and the Applicant Support Program.

Draft Final Report on the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development
Process:

https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/draft-final-report-new-gtld-subsequent-20aug20-en.pdf

Of course, there is also the Final Report of the Temporary Specification
for gTLD Registration Data Phase 2 Expedited Policy Development Process
that is now published. This is also a very important report to consider
since it addresses the registrant data protection. We already know that
there are minority statements from the SSAC, the GAC and the ALAC.

EPDP Phase 2 final report:

https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/epdp-phase-2-temp-spec-gtld-registration-data-31jul20-en.pdf

As for the SubPro final report, we may work on it and encourage our
community members to participate in the public comment until 30 September,
and we will send our consensus position after our session to the Board.
However, we won't be able to have it on the public comment platform
(closing on 30 September).

So, please propose the best topic for you no later than 11 September 2020
at 23:59 UTC.

The timelines to develop the work:

04 – 11 Sept       Call for topics

14 – 15 Sept       Selection of the topic

16 – 22 Sept       Call for drafting team membership

23 – 24 Sept       Formation of the drafting team and selection of
penholder(s)

25/9 – 09 Oct     Drafting of the 1stdraft

10 - 16 Oct         Community Comments on the 1st Draft

16 – 17 Oct         Comments compilation and updating of the statement
accordingly (2nd Draft)

17 Oct                 Release of the statement 2nd draft

20 Oct                 ME Space Virtual session to discuss, update (if
necessary) and adopt the Statement

Best wishes,

Nadira AL ARAJ

Tijani BEN JEMAA