[APAC-Discuss] APRALO discussion points from the APAC-APRALO meeting

h.raiche at internode.on.net h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 26 09:21:32 UTC 2014

 Hi Maureen

 First - a really GREAT summary - thanks

 And a thought I had this morning.

 What about a project to identify - and share - talents/skills within
our region. Just a list that says this group/person has technical
skills etc or APNIC provides free training, etc, or people like me can
bore groups rigid with lessons on communications regulatory policy,
etc.

 I know ICANN has material etc, but I bet that many of us also have
resources as well and should share

 Holly

 On Thu 26/06/14 6:42 PM , Maureen Hilyard moarimh at gmail.com sent:
 Hi everyone

 I have summarised the key points that APRALO members raised during
 yesterdays meeting with Kuek, outlining APRALO priorities/focus
areas. They
 are as follows:

 1. COMMUNICATION
 APRALO is a large regino - how can we improve communication between
APAC
 and the regions (including the diversity of end-users within these
 sub-regions) so that local issues are appropriately addressed and
 coordinated?

 2. LANGUAGES
 How do we coordinate the involvement of ALSes to provide local
translations
 of key ICANN/APAC/APRALO documents?

 3. CAPACITY BUILDING
 How do we address and prioritise capacity building needs of end-users
 within APRALO subregions?

 4. OUTREACH
 How can we ensure that there is equitable use of available resources
 encourage ICANN outreach to the ALSes within the subregions and who
need
 support for extending outreach into their respective communities
about
 ICANN, its role within the internet ecosystem, and ICANN issues which
 ultimately impact on APRALO end-users ?

 Just to recap on APAC's priorities - based on a survey they did a
while ago:
 •Capacity Development
 •Stakeholder Participation
 •Awareness Building
 •Language Localisation
 •Regional Meeting Format

 Our focus areas are not too different from what APAC has identified
as
 their focus areas - but I would like to present our priorities from a
more
 sub-regional perspective because we cannot impose a one-size fits all
model
 across our region. Kuek stated that there would be budget constraints
but
 if ICANN wants to improve engagement by its members (and that's what
the
 thematic papers are all about from this ATLAS meeting), then they
have to
 consider our regional (bottom-up) needs and perspectives.

 Please send me your feedback asap. I would like to send our focus
areas to
 Kuek perhaps by the end of next week. The sooner we get our ideas to
him,
 the sooner we can work together on the final priorities list - and
then
 Kuek and the other VPs can negotiate with ICANN about an appropriate
budget.

 Looking forward to hearing from you.I would like to again say that it
has
 been great meeting you all at this meeting and I look forward to
keeping in
 touch, and meeting up with you again at future meetings. [?]

 Regards
 Maureen