[APAC-Discuss] APRALO discussion points from the APAC-APRALO meeting

Maureen Hilyard moarimh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 09:12:08 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

I have summarised the key points that APRALO members raised during
yesterdays meeting with Kuek, outlining APRALO priorities/focus areas. They
are as follows:

1. COMMUNICATION
APRALO is a large regino - how can we improve communication between APAC
and the regions (including the diversity of end-users within these
sub-regions) so that local issues are appropriately addressed and
coordinated?

2. LANGUAGES
How do we coordinate the involvement of ALSes to provide local translations
of key ICANN/APAC/APRALO documents?

3. CAPACITY BUILDING
How do we address and prioritise capacity building needs of end-users
within APRALO subregions?

4. OUTREACH
How can we ensure that there is equitable use of available resources to
encourage ICANN outreach to the ALSes within the subregions and who need
support for extending outreach into their respective communities about
ICANN, its role within the internet ecosystem, and ICANN issues which
ultimately impact on APRALO end-users ?

Just to recap on APAC's priorities - based on a survey they did a while ago:
•Capacity Development
•Stakeholder Participation
•Awareness Building
•Language Localisation
•Regional Meeting Format

Our focus areas are not too different from what APAC has identified as
their focus areas - but I would like to present our priorities from a more
sub-regional perspective because we cannot impose a one-size fits all model
across our region. Kuek stated that there would be budget constraints but
if ICANN wants to improve engagement by its members (and that's what the
thematic papers are all about from this ATLAS meeting), then they have to
consider our regional (bottom-up) needs and perspectives.

Please send me your feedback asap. I would like to send our focus areas to
Kuek perhaps by the end of next week. The sooner we get our ideas to him,
the sooner we can work together on the final priorities list - and then
Kuek and the other VPs can negotiate with ICANN about an appropriate budget.

Looking forward to hearing from you.I would like to again say that it has
been great meeting you all at this meeting and I look forward to keeping in
touch, and meeting up with you again at future meetings. [?]

Regards
Maureen