[APAC-Discuss] Beijing APRALO Showcase

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 00:34:12 UTC 2012

Hi Edmon and Sala,

Very good recommendations and I would second all of them because I
have been a fellow twice with the fellowship program and the morning
sessions are both intensive and well visited by all top ICANN people
to build capacity and make the participants aware of ICANN's
functionality and Janice has her magic that helps new comers navigate
around ICANN much easily. There is no one single way to build capacity
and help navigation across voluntary organizations but our ALS's
should be fine.

Sala, I personally feel very uncomfortable when we have to conform to
a single basket design and being told what to do, how to do it and how
to show it without my own willingness. I don't think we should dictate
how ALS's participate and that is a critical element in participatory
involvement. We can help facilitate but not force ALS's to follow a
certain criteria because these are either ISOC chapters, NGO's,
community groups or loosely connected and organized communities. Thats
also a tipping point in ALS active involvement that many of don't seem
to understand. This gap has to be understood and I am being vocal
about it.

For example, my ALS (now called the Internet Research Group) protects
and defends cyber dissent, that is sensitive for the well-being of our
membership. It is a loosely connected membership consortium of people
concerned about the future of the Internet in Pakistan, combating
censorship, responding to govt actions, building and enabling further
Internet groupings like ISOC chapters and consumer groups etc.

I have members from media, think tanks, people leading ICT
organizations and playing an important part in shaping the countries
ICT and Internet Public Policy. They come from govt, regulators,
telcos, policy and donor orgs, private sector, academia and research.
No one in my group wants to be named beyond their organization, be
directly named or associated with ICANN however they are willing to
share their contributions and benefit from the knowledge that comes
down through ICANN and ALAC because it helps build foresight and
creating the playing field where Pakistan can also enter the domain
and IP addressing playing field.

We+one of our members is organizing part of a world launch of a UN
flagship research report at the end of this month and have a series of
policy round tables on Internet Public Policy, New GTLDs, Cybercrime
etc happening by the Beijing Meeting that we intend to share and
showcase. We will also be presenting a physical copy of the report to
the Chair and CEO of ICANN if present during the APRALO showcase to
show that we are contributing to global policy development in the
field of ICTs and Internet.

This small presentation could be one of the highlights because I can
seek permission from the UN to show and tell the report in 5-10
minutes and it lists my name for substantive inputs to the report.

So Sala, instead of telling ALSes WHAT TO DO we should help them share
what they WANT to show. My ALS will be bringing a physical global
contribution to ICT policy development. That will be our contribution
from Pakistan. Similarly we should ask everyone across the ALS network
that you can show what you want. We will help you show'n'tell etc.

Best

Fouad

Regards.