[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 21 Sep 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 08:07:40 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Here is my summary report of the GNSO Council's 21 Sep 2023 meeting. It's
'relatively' short this time. You can also read this report posted at the ALAC
Liaison to the GNSO workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>,
or using the links included below.

*Special Summary Report of 21 Sep 2023 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Sep2023-SumRep_Sep2023>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Sep 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Sep2023-MOI_Sep2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council Sep 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Sep2023-Meet_Sep2023>
.

*1. **GNSO Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous
Improvement (CCOICI) Recommendations Report on Review of the Statement of
Interest (SOI) Requirements *

   - Last month, Council received an overview
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/presentation/presentation-ccoici-recommendations-report-24aug23-en.pdf>
of
   the CCOICI Recommendations Report
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/chen-to-gnso-council-14aug23-en.pdf>on
   the SOI Requirements which concluded that no consensus was reached
on the *ability
   to exempt participants from declaring in their GNSO SOI who they
   represented whenever they participated in a PDP* in case of professional
   ethical obligations preventing complications. Although it was
   recommended that the GNSO SOI format be updated to form two parts (see
   below), *the existing SOI language which allows for the exemption was to
   remain as is*.
   - Just prior to this Council meeting, the vote to adopt these CCOICI
   recommendations was withdrawn as CPH were not prepared to vote on the one
   recommendation, as written, to retain the exemption. Hence this matter now
   goes back to the CCOICI for further consideration and, hopefully,
   resolution.

*2. Charter for Registration Data Request Service (RDRS) Standing Committee*

   - The GNSO Council EPDP Phase 2 Small Team's work has wrapped up - since
   their final task in guiding the design of the Registration Data Request
   Service (RDRS) (formerly known as the SSAD - System for Standardized Access
   to Registration Data) has concluded - and ICANN org is slated to launch the
   RDRS in November.
   - Given this, the focus moves towards monitoring of ICANN org's
   implementation of the RDRS and how well it will function.  To facilitate
   this, Council is transitioning the EPDP Phase 2 Small Team into the RDRS
   Standing Committee, and Council has approved the Charter
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IFmCY1xEtWy7IoyM-uSYiRkzFkc0jLdM/edit?pli=1>
for
   this Standing Committee.
      - *Impact for ALAC*: ALAC retains a member seat by virtue of having
      had a member on the EPDP Phase 2 Small Team, along with an alternate.

*3. New gTLD Program Next Round / Subsequent Procedures 38 Pending
Recommendations *

   - As reported at the At-Large CPWG 20 Sep call
   <https://community.icann.org/x/qwAFE>, the GNSO Council SubPro Small
   Team had been working towards recommending a Second Clarifying Statement
   for Council approval. This Second Clarifying Statement was aimed at
   clarifying and resolving the ICANN Board's concerns on the group of 10
   SubPro Outputs associated with the use, and hence, enforceability, of
   PICs/RVCs (i.e. SubPro Recommendations 9.1, 9.4, 9.8, 9.9, 9.10, 9.12,
   9.13, 30.1, 31.16 and 31.17).
   - At the time Council met, this Second Clarifying Statement is subject
   to further work by the Small Team and hence required that a Council vote on
   it be deferred to Council's October meeting.
   - In parallel, also as reported
   <https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/268763307/20230918%20SubPro%2038%20Pending%20Recs%20Update%20%233%20for%20CPWG%2020Sep2023.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1695137402000&api=v2>
    at the At-Large CPWG 20 Sep call <https://community.icann.org/x/qwAFE>,
   the ICANN Board held a recent workshop where the Board resolved
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-10-09-2023-en#section2.d>
to,
   per its Scorecard
   <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/scorecard-subpro-pdp-board-action-10sep23-en.pdf>
   ;
      - Section A, adopt 7 SubPro Outputs with no further concern;
      - Section B, adopt 12 SubPro Outputs with the 5 Sep GNSO Council
      Clarifying Statement (i.e the First Clarifying Statement);
      - Section C, NOT adopt 7 SubPro Outputs at this this time, with given
      rationales; and
      - Section D, consider adopting 10 SubPro Outputs with the provision
      of the pending GNSO Council Second Clarifying Statement, and to continue
      discussing a remaining 3 SubPro Outputs with the GNSO Council
SubPro Small
      Team with a goal of resolving them via the clarification mechanism.
   - Given the above development out of the Board workshop, the Small
   Team's assignment form (i.e. charter) required a revision to
reflect the updated
   assignment
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yDgWIwKZqKk0WY0q7CS2pf7aD4VupCWV/edit>
regarding
   how the non-adopted recommendations should be handled. Council
   considered and approved this Small Team updated assignment
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yDgWIwKZqKk0WY0q7CS2pf7aD4VupCWV/edit>
    form.
   - The updated assignment form expands participation in the Small Team to
   each GNSO Stakeholder Group and Constituency, and each Advisory Committees
   (mainly ALAC and GAC), to elect to put forward one subject matter expert
   (SME) plus alternate to help inform the Small Team's final assignment #7
   (which is to develop proposed Supplemental Recommendations or develop
   proposed modifications through GNSO's section 16 process).
      - *Impact for ALAC*: ALAC will be invited to appoint a SME and an
      alternate to the Small Team. These appointments may be changed
from time to
      time to facilitate the relevant SME's participation to the different the
      topics being addressed. For avoidance of doubt, these appointments do not
      affect my participation as an existing member of the Small Team.

*4. ICANN78 Joint Meeting of the At-Large and GNSO*

   - A call for additions/changes to the proposed topics of SubPro Updates,
   RDRS and .quebec was made to Councilors.
   - The plan is to revisit this list of proposed topics
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Questions+for+ICANN78>
in
   a fortnight for finalization.

Thanks for reading / considering.