[ALAC] Public Comment on Red Cross national names

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 18 02:37:56 UTC 2018

The PC at https://community.icann.org/x/GoRHBQ is
addressing a set of recommendations to protect at
the second level the names of the various
national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies.

I was an active member of the original Red Cross
name PDP. The national names were not protected
at that time for a number of reasons, largely
technicalities. This PDP modification process was
convened to attempt to correct the process. I
also joined the reconvened WG, but stopped
attending after three meetings, largely due to
the slowness of the deliberations, but I did keep an eye on the mailing list.

The bottom line is that the reconvened PDP is
recommending that the country names be protected.

In reality, I do not believe that this issue is
really substantive in that fraudulent activity
can still occur using minor modification of the
names. But I believe that we should support it
because it is significant example of ICANN
addressing an issue with global public interest
implications. In particular, one of the arguments
against reserving these names in the past has
been that by doing so, we are impacting freedom
of speech - specifically not allowing other
parties to use these names. Since these names are
in fact protected by law in each jurisdiction, I
personally believe that this argument has little merit.

I am reproducing the statement below for your convenience.

Alan

========

The ALAC appreciates the opportunity to comment
on the Initial Report on the Protections for
Certain Red Cross Names in all gTLDs – Policy Amendment Process.

The ALAC has always taken the position that as a
humanitarian organization, and one that has been
regularly the target of those seeking to
fraudulently attract donations, the Red Cross
should be afforded the courtesy of having its
various identifiers protected at the second level in gTLD domain names.

The current process recommends additional
protection in this area and the recommendations are supported by the ALAC.