[AFRI-Discuss] AFRALO Universal Acceptance Project Announcement

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Mon Feb 28 19:54:56 UTC 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D82CF6.3468A5C0]

Dear AFRALO members,

The AFRALO leadership in partnership with the ICANN GSE team and At-Large staff would like to announce as part of fulfilling our FY22 outreach and engagement strategy the introduction of a webinars series and learning series on the ICANN learn platform which are focused on Universal Acceptance and Internationalized domain names. Universal Acceptance is key to achieving a digitally inclusive Internet by ensuring that all domain names and email addresses – regardless of script, language, or character length – are accepted equally by all Internet-enabled applications, devices, and systems. This includes supporting all country code top-level domains (ccTLDs), new and long generic top-level domains (gTLDs), and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).

This webinar series is different from the AFRALO webinar series which serves as support towards AFRALO-AfrICANN statement development.

We are calling upon our members which includes you to be the champions in your own communities by registering on the ICANN learn platform  https://learn.icann.org<https://learn.icann.org/>.  and complete the Introduction to Universal acceptance course in addition to this, we want you to attend the webinars which will be organized by the GSE team from time to time.

Did you know that the next billion Internet users will not be users of the Latin script? Learn how to reach them and prepare your systems now for the future Internet!

People’s communication and overall utility of the internet as well experience may be impacted if their email systems or website are not compliant with Universal Acceptance.

As part of this project members are requested to perform the following tasks.

  *   Any ALS that has an email address with their own domain (not Gmail, Hotmail etc), should check if Email Address Internationalization is supported or not supported by their system. The link to use for the test is https://uasg.tech/eai-check/

  *   If an ALS has its own domain,  it will work with GSE, UASG and UA Ambassadors to ensure that their online platforms are compliant with Universal acceptance.

  *   ALSes to include possible awareness activity on Universal Acceptance at the local level. ( ICANN GSE/IDN/UA teams and the UA Ambassadors are ready to help)

Stay tuned for the Sessions date to be held in early April !

Thank you very much!

At-Large Staff
ICANN Policy Staff in support of the At-Large Community
Website: atlarge.icann.org<https://atlarge.icann.org/>
Facebook: facebook.com/icann<https://www.facebook.com/icannatlarge>atlarge<https://www.facebook.com/icannatlarge>
Twitter: @<https://twitter.com/ICANNAtLarge>ICANNAtLarge<https://twitter.com/ICANNAtLarge>