[AFRI-Discuss] Call for comments (was Fwd: [ALAC] Final Report of the ALS Mobilization Working Party)

Sarah Kiden skiden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:38:32 UTC 2020

Hello Pastor Peters and all,

I agree with Seun's comments. Please see my responses inline below.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:37 PM Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> RALO.
>> 3. In the nearest future, the plan is to do away with ALSes and rely on
>> individual members. Icann will soon become an individual organisation as
>> opposed to organisational representation. Reason is not far fetched, all
>> the current people leading on this new draconian changes do not belong to
>> any organisation in their constituency even if they do, they re no more but
>> are involved in icann as individuals. Which is fine but they should not
>> destroy the very fabric of what make icann what it is today.
>> 4. Why would Alan refused to have the entire community look at the draft
>> and make recommendations before asking ALAC to revirw instead of taking it
>> straight to ALAC and now we are being made to look over a document that
>> took one year to develop in a 2 hour call. I can't get it. All the
>> suggestions last night appeared to be a waste of bcos he said it is left
>> for ALAC to accept or not and no more the WP! ALAC is composed of two third
>> elected members by RALOs. Its like Board or shares in a company. The RALOs
>> have the largest numbers of shares and should be the ones to call the shot
>> and not the other way. It is the dog that wags the tail and not the tail
>> wagging the dog.
>>

> SO: I like to call for caution Pastor Peters, while we may have our
> strong opinions, I think we should engage one another with an open mind. As
> you may already know, the call that occured yesterday and the one that will
> be held  tomorrow was a request by the RALO leaders and it was largely
> informational. Alan was actually right that the report is now in the hands
> of the ALAC unless ALAC explicitly asks the WP to oversee the gathering of
> feedback from RALOs which is not the case. When we review the report and
> get to a section where point of clarification is required, that would be to
> the WP members (including the Chair Alan) but when we have comments for
> modification we are to talk to ALAC because that is where the report sits
> at the moment. Yes I would have preferred ALAC asking the WP to coordinate
> this phase of community engagement but that route was not taken by ALAC so
> lets work with what we have.
>
> Finally, Seun and the Exco of AFRALO, the AFRALO call that was initiated
>> by my petition against the leadership of the WP did make about 3
>> resolutions that was to be written to ALAC after the meeting. Why was this
>> not done because I cannot recall seeing that document till date. Please,
>> Seun and Sarah to please address us on this.
>>

> SO: During the call that your referred to, action item given to the AFRALO
> leadership was to communicate to the Chair of ALAC on the importance of
> engaging the RALOs once the final draft report was submitted to ALAC which
> was done, and i understand that the engagement is what we are having at the
> moment. Could this particular phase have been handled differently, maybe

SK: This step was in fact completed in June 2020 by the AFRALO Chair, who
sent a request to the ALAC Chair that comments from RALOs be sought before
the final report is considered. I believe we still have an opportunity to
make our comments in the document shared by Seun and then send this as
AFRALO feedback. I note that you have already added comments into the
document. I believe these comments will be addressed.

Thanks,

Sarah