[AFRI-Discuss] ATLASS 3 IN CANADA-IMPENDIMENTS TO A SUCCESSFUL OUTING

ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng
Fri Sep 27 17:29:06 UTC 2019

Dear all,
It is a shame that this is happening and I think ICANN should find a way to
solve this problem. From Nigeria alone, I know of 7 funded applicants who
have applied and 6 of the 7 were rejected. All of these has previous travel
history and I do not understand why the applications are being rejected.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 5:52 PM Liz Orembo <lizorembo at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the height of exclusion. Why are we even allowing  policy meetings
> of such global resources to take place where participants from the global
> south cant attend? What is the purpose of the event code in the invite
> letters?
>
> I hope ICANN takes this up with the Canadian government.
>
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 7:23 PM Peters Omoragbon <
> petersomoragbon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues and friends,
>>
>> I am constrained to bring the attention of everyone to the myriad of
>> road-blocks and frustrations currently confronting African delegates to
>> ATLAS 3, and I am afraid, about 80% may not make it to Montreal after all.
>> No thanks to the Canadian Embassy that, has not only refused their visas
>> applications but also giving very spurious and insulting excuses for such
>> wanton refusalS.
>> For example, delegates that have a track history of previous trips abroad
>> with valid USA, UK and even Japan visas are being told, they may not leave
>> Canada at the end of the conference!!!
>> That is the worst excuse I have heard all my life. If I could not remain
>> in the USA, or Japan, UK and Europe, what is so special about Canada to
>> keep me away from returning?
>>
>> It must be recalled that we collectively put up and appeal to ICANN to be
>> aware of the notoriety of the Canadian Embassies in African, that they will
>> take our monies and refused to grant a genuine visa application.
>>
>> It is my view that ICANN Secretariat please intervenes because its just
>> one month away to Montreal. It will be such a shame if more than half of
>> the accredited delegates are absent after all the preparations and efforts
>> put into the planning and selections. And it should also be the
>> responsibility of the AFRALO leadership to lead on this struggle. The fact
>> that, they all have free rides to travel anywhere for ICANN events should
>> not becloud their responsibilities to us-members from AFRALO.
>> I hope ALAC leadership should provide the oversight function here.
>> Best
>> Yours truly
>> Thank you all.
>>
>> *Pastor Peters Osawaru OMORAGBON*
>>
>> *-Financial Secretary, Central Association of Nigerians in the United
>> Kingdom-CANUK*
>>
>> *-Executive President/CEO-Nurses Across the Borders-An NGO in Special
>> Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United
>> Nations-ECOSOC*
>>
>> *-Designated Contact Person-United Nations Framework Convention on
>> Climate Change-UNFCCC*
>>
>> *-International Liaison Officer-Nigerian Nurses Charitable
>> Association-NNCA-UK*
>>
>> *-Board Member-Conference of NGOS in Special Consultative Status with the
>> United Nations-CONGO*
>>
>> *-Member Steering Committee Regional Committee for Africa-CONGO*
>>
>> *-General Secretary, Civil Society Network of NGOs on Climate Change*

> [...]

*Dr. Abdulkarim A.Oloyede*. *B. Eng (BUK), M.Sc (York), PhD (York), R.Eng,
A+*
*Senior Lecturer, **Department of Telecommunications Science, University of
Ilorin, Nigeria*
*Vice Chairman, Telecommunications  Development Advisory Group (TDAG),
**International
Telecommunication Union (ITU).*
*Alternative Emails: olouss at yahoo.com <olouss at yahoo.com>  OR
 aao500 at york.ac.uk <aao500 at york.ac.uk>*