[AFRI-Discuss] AFRI-Discuss Digest, Vol 129, Issue 54

Chenai Chair chrche001 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:10:35 UTC 2017


Hi everyone,

I'm in support of the individual membership.

Having listened to the discussions about this during the call, it's
insightful to learn about the different positions with regards to this
issue.

Best,

chenai

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM, <
afri-discuss-request at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> Send AFRI-Discuss mailing list submissions to
>         afri-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/afri-discuss
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         afri-discuss-request at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         afri-discuss-owner at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of AFRI-Discuss digest..."
>
> Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to this
> list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/
> mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1
> - - - - -
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Finalizing Individual Membership Recommendation
>       (peters omoragbon)
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: peters omoragbon <petersomoragbon at gmail.com>
> To: "seun.ojedeji at gmail.com" <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
> Cc: afri-discuss <afri-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>, Remmy Nweke <
> remmyn at gmail.com>
> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:17:19 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: [AFRI-Discuss] Finalizing Individual Membership Recommendation
> Thank you Seun.
> Sometimes people placed in position of authority as representatives needs
> to always take the pain to pass their message across to those they
> represent and not act as if we are under a dictatorship.
> Having said that it is left for the House to decide. I have done my bits
> and spoken out and it is only time that will prove anyone tight or wrong.
> Notwithstanding we need to be clear on what the individual members can do
> without belonging to a formal group. I hope we do not end up destroying the
> group representation of Afralo for individual membership in future in which
> case the essence of the end user having a voice through various
> organizations will be subsumed by individuals who will pursue personal
> agenda.
> Time will tell. I'm watching
> Pastor Peters Omoragbon
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
>
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 at 3:22, Seun Ojedeji
> <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sent from my mobile
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
> On Jul 17, 2017 12:20 AM, "Peters Omoragbon" <petersomoragbon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> Seun, I am surprised you could make a comment as saying why I am reacting
> this way.
>
>
> SO: Am sorry you feel this way but I am actually truly surprised, not for
> the fact that I don't expect opposition but for the level you took it to as
> being a game plan/coup. However from the text you sent privately, it seem
> to me that you do not necessarily oppose this recommendation but the fact
> that a consensus call was made about it(please see 2 below in this).
>
> Why did you not address the other issues I raised in my email. (I am
> responding here because I sent you the other private reply not knowing your
> mail was to the group).
>
>
> SO: Am not sure of other issues left out. However 3 things are clear:
>
> 1. The individual membership wasn't a contentious issue during the GA
> hence it's important to get it done with. Waiting for another GA just to
> get that done isn't necessary and will not meet up with things (see 2 below)
>
> 2. One of the reasons it's important to get it done with is the due to the
> AtLarge review which is currently at the stage of preparing our response to
> the Board on the recommendations. It will be good to report to the Board
> that AFRALO has also implemented the individual membership just like other
> RALOs will be reported as well.
>
> 3. I expect the ROP WG will resume their work to consider pending draft
> recommendations (including your proposal) and determine a way forward with
> them. It's up to the Chair of the group to call for next meeting
>
> I have raised issues as constituent part of AFRALO representing my ALS and
> I want both GS and Chairman to respond to me.
>
>
> SO: You are right, I have also only responded as an ALS who has some
> information to share. Certainly not as GS nor Chairman.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Thank you.
> Pastor Peters
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *Pastor Peters Osawaru OMORAGBON*
>
> *-Financial Secretary, Central Association of Nigerians in the United
> Kingdom-CANUK*
>
> *-Executive President/CEO-Nurses Across the Borders-An NGO in Special
> Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United
> Nations-ECOSOC*
>
> *-Designated Contact Person-United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
> Change-UNFCCC*
>
> *-International Liaison Officer-Nigerian Nurses Charitable
> Association-NNCA-UK*
>
> *-Board Member-Conference of NGOS in Special Consultative Status with the
> United Nations-CONGO*
>
> *-Member Steering Committee Regional Committee for Africa-CONGO*
>
> *-General Secretary, Civil Society Network of NGOs on Climate Change*
>
> *-Fellow Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers-ICANN*
> *-Fellow Open Society Institute-Budapest*
>
> On 17 July 2017 at 00:04, Remmy Nweke <remmyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Seun
> If the membership will not offer voting rights, why and why exactly is
> this line of thought being proposed, it may steer somewhat controversy in
> the near  I hope we are not setting a time bomb by this proposal.
>
> Regards
> Remmy
>
> ____
> REMMY NWEKE, mNGE,
> Lead Strategist/Group Executive Editor,
> DigitalSENSE Africa Media [*Multiple-award winning medium*]
> (DigitalSENSE Business News
> <http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng/businessnews>; ITREALMS
> <http://www.itrealms.com.ng>, NaijaAgroNet
> <http://www.naijaagronet.com.ng>)
> Block F1, Shop 133 Moyosore Aboderin Plaza, Bolade Junction, Oshodi-Lagos
> M: 234-8033592762, 8023122558, 8051000475, T: @ITRealms
> <http://www.twitter.com/ITRealms>
> Author: A Decade of ICT Reportage in Nigeria
> <https://www.facebook.com/adecadeofictreportageinnigeria‎>
> PC Summit 2017 <http://www.pcsummit.com.ng>, December 7-8 @Federal
> Palace, Victoria Island, Lagos.
>
> *Vice President, African Civil Society on the Information Society (ACSIS
> <http://www.acsis-scasi.org/en/>)
> ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
> *Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
> are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
> only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
> responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
> not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
> any copies. Violators may face court persecution.
>
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Pastor Peters,
>
> Just to clarify, the rights of individual membership does not extend to
> voting and serving in AFRALO leadership position. Only ALSes have rights
> for that.
> The URL earlier shared by the Chair contains the rights of individual. I
> am pasting it below for easy access:
>
> https://community.icann.org/m/ mobile.action#page/49360273
> <https://community.icann.org/m/mobile.action#page/49360273>
>
> I also like to state categorically that this isn't a coup in any way.
> Anyone who has been following the AtLarge review developments knows that
> individual membership was a requirement that ALL the 5 RALOs must
> implement. Most importantly as well is that we as ALSes have nothing to
> loose by including such membership especially considering how the rights
> has been so minimally defined. (I actually hope that we look at adding more
> rights to them in future when next we review it in 2019).
>
> As to the votes, while I have no problem with voting, we work by consensus
> as much as possible hence considering this is not a highly contentious
> issue(should not be and am surprised with how Pastor Peters have taken it),
> I think the Chair made a good decision by doing a consensus check instead.
>
> Regards
> Sent from my mobile
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
> On Jul 16, 2017 11:14 PM, "Peters Omoragbon" <petersomoragbon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I believe it is right for us to be very conscientious in all our dealings
> for posterity.
>
> I suspect a form of collusion here and attempts by some vested powers to
> push the individual membership down the throats of AFRALO even when their
> values to AFRALO has yet to be fully explained and accepted by the GA.
>
> At the Conference call, did the house direct Mr. Aziz to call for a vote
> on this particular subject? If no, why would Mr. Aziz use his office to
> want to stampede us into taking a decision in a hurry?
>
> I have raised a fundamental issue that borders on legitimacy by asking the
> Chairman to inform the house where and when the ALAC took the decision
> giving us the ultimatum? Since when has ALAC been directing RALOS to adopt
> rules of procedures even when it is detrimental to the collective interest
> of the entire group?
>
> This is the game plan: The issue of tenure which has generated some level
> of interest amongst members may at the long run disadvantaged some members
> that have always occupied one position or the other in AFRALO and others
> who want to also copy and act in like manner. And their ALS may also not be
> ready to continue to support their representation at AFRALO as they may
> want to elect new officers.
> As a result, these same set of individuals wants to rush the Individual
> membership as a ploy to ensure their continued relevance and calling the
> shots in AFRALO through this medium. This is controlling AFRALO by proxy.
>
> I cherish experience in anything we do but I am opposed to the
> sit-tight-syndrome that has become the bane of African leaders in every
> ramification. Coupled with this is the Praise singers syndrome so as to
> curry favour of the Cabal within AFRALO. This cannot be allowed.
>
> We have to first agree to a vote before mandating the Chairman to call for
> same. It is not the Chairman nor any elected official that dictate to the
> House, it is the house that should ask the chairman.
>
> This call is premature, irrespective of the number of people that are
> rushing to support the proposal-which to me is premeditated.
>
> The big question is: WHEN WAS IT DECIDED THAT THE CHAIRMAN SHOULD CALL A
> VOTE ON INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP? I want both the General Secretary and
> Chairman to as a matter responsibility answer my question. They are elected
> to respond to our queries. I demand answer with the same speed that you are
> all casting your votes now. So Mr. Aziz and Ms Kiden do respond to my
> question
>
> Posterity is always a good judge of all that we do now and thereafter.
>
> Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *Pastor Peters Osawaru OMORAGBON*
>
> *-Financial Secretary, Central Association of Nigerians in the United
> Kingdom-CANUK*
>
> *-Executive President/CEO-Nurses Across the Borders-An NGO in Special
> Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United
> Nations-ECOSOC*
>
> *-Designated Contact Person-United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
> Change-UNFCCC*
>
> *-International Liaison Officer-Nigerian Nurses Charitable
> Association-NNCA-UK*
>
> *-Board Member-Conference of NGOS in Special Consultative Status with the
> United Nations-CONGO*
>
> *-Member Steering Committee Regional Committee for Africa-CONGO*
>
> *-General Secretary, Civil Society Network of NGOs on Climate Change*
>
> *-Fellow Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers-ICANN*
> *-Fellow Open Society Institute-Budapest*
>
> On 16 July 2017 at 22:19, Fatimata Seye Sylla <fsylla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I hereby support the individual membership as stipulated in the mentioned
> recommendation.
>
> Warm greetings,
> Fatimata
>
> Le 16 juillet 2017 à 20:04, Aziz Hilali <hilaliaziz at yahoo.fr> a écrit :
>
> <English>
>
> Dear Members,
>
> As per the information shared during our monthly call, It is been brought
> to our attention by the ALAC Chair that as per the first ALAC review
> requirements and the current At-Large Review (on-going) recommendations,
> the RALOs are tasked with ensuring individual membership. Therefore we need
> to get this particular item completed with.
>
> As you may recall during the General Assembly in Johannesburg, this
> particular recommendation of the working group gained traction but we could
> not formerly record it due to other recommendations and time constraints.
> In view of this, I suggest we separate this recommendation on individual
> membership which already gained traction and pass that now to comply with
> At-Large reviews requirements.
>
> For reference, below is the link to the latest version of the "Individual
> Membership » recommendation distributed in Johannesburg:
> https://community.icann.org/di splay/AFRALO/Individual+Member
> ship+-+AFRALO+ROP+Review
> <https://community.icann.org/display/AFRALO/Individual+Membership+-+AFRALO+ROP+Review>
>
> Item 7 of the recommendation currently reads as follows:
> The individual membership issue will be reviewed in 2019 to reconsider
> their rights and duties of unaffiliated members in light of the 2018
> experience.
> I propose to modify it in this way:
> "The individual membership issue will be reviewed by or before 2 years
> after implementation to reconsider the rights and duties of unaffiliated
> members in light of experience gained during initial trial"
>
> I hereby, as AFRALO Chair, call for any objection to approving the
> conditions under which individual membership will be implemented as
> presented in the above recommendation.
>
> Kindly provide your response within 72hrs
>
> Best regards
> Aziz HILALI
> AFRALO Chair
> ---------------------------
>
> <French>
>
> Chers membres,
>
> D'après les informations partagées lors de notre téléconférence mensuelle,
> le président de l’ALAC a attiré notre attention sur le fait que les RALO
> sont appelés à accepter les adhésions individuelles, et ce suivant les
> exigences de la première revue de l’ALAC et les recommandations de la revue
> actuelle d’At-Large, Par conséquent, nous devons finir ce point particulier
> sans plus tarder.
>
> Comme vous le savez, lors de l’assemblée Générale à Johannesburg, cette
> recommandation du groupe de travail a été approuvée, mais nous n’avions pas
> pu l’officialiser à cause du fait que toutes les recommandations étaient
> dans un même document et que le temps ne nous a pas permis de les finir
> toutes. Pour cela, je suggère que nous séparons cette recommandation sur
> l’adhésion individuelle pour se conformer avec les exigence des revues
> d’At-Large.
>
> Pour référence, voici le lien de la toute dernière version distribuée à
> Johannesburg de la recommandation relative à l’adhésion individuelle:
> https://community.icann.org/di splay/AFRALO/Individual+Member
> ship+-+AFRALO+ROP+Review
> <https://community.icann.org/display/AFRALO/Individual+Membership+-+AFRALO+ROP+Review>
>
> Le point 7 de la recommandation dit:
> La question des droits et devoirs des membres individuels sera réexaminée
> en 2019 au vue de l’expérience de 2018.
> Je propose de le modifier pour devenir:
> «La question des droits et devoirs des membres individuels sera réexaminée
> 2 ans après la mise en oeuvre (ou avant) au vue de l’expérience de la
> période d’essai».
>
> En ma qualité de Président d’AFRALO, je demande s’il y a des objections
> pour l’approbation des conditions sous lesquelles l’adhésion individuelle
> sera appliquée comme présenté dans la recommandation mentionnée.
>
> Prière répondre dans les 72 heures.
>
> Cordialement
> Aziz Hilali
> AFRALO Chair
>
>
>
>
> --
> Fatimata Seye Sylla
> ICT4D, Education & Genre
>
>
>
> ______________________________ _________________
> AFRI-Discuss mailing list
> AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.ica nn.org
> <AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
> https://atlarge-lists.icann.or g/mailman/listinfo/afri-discus s
> <https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/afri-discuss>
>
> Homepage for the region: http://www.afralo.org
>
> Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to this
> list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/mistic
> a/english/emec/method_emec/pre sentation.html#anexo1
> <http://www.funredes.org/mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1>
>
>
>
> ______________________________ _________________
> AFRI-Discuss mailing list
> AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.ica nn.org
> <AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
> https://atlarge-lists.icann.or g/mailman/listinfo/afri-discus s
> <https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/afri-discuss>
>
> Homepage for the region: http://www.afralo.org
>
> Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to this
> list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/mistic
> a/english/emec/method_emec/pre sentation.html#anexo1
> <http://www.funredes.org/mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1>
>
>
> ______________________________ _________________
> AFRI-Discuss mailing list
> AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.ica nn.org
> <AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
> https://atlarge-lists.icann.or g/mailman/listinfo/afri-discus s
> <https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/afri-discuss>
>
> Homepage for the region: http://www.afralo.org
>
> Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to this
> list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/mistic
> a/english/emec/method_emec/pre sentation.html#anexo1
> <http://www.funredes.org/mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> AFRI-Discuss mailing list
> AFRI-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/afri-discuss
>
> Homepage for the region: www.afralo.org
>
> Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to this
> list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/
> mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1
> - - - - -
>
>


-- 
Chenai Chair
Research ICT Africa:Researcher
w:cchair at researchictafrica.net

'What is worth knowing?'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/afri-discuss/attachments/20170717/0bc76313/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the AFRI-Discuss mailing list