[AFRI-Discuss] [afralo-rop] MOTION FOR AMENDMENTS TO RULES OF PROCEDURE IN AFRALO

Sarah Kiden skiden at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 00:12:00 UTC 2017

Dear all,

This is a good discussion. It is good to see a follow-up after the General
Assembly. Out of curiosity from the comment that was made about not having
new leaders, I checked present https://atlarge.icann.org/ralos/afralo and
previous leaders
community.icann.org/display/AFRALO/Previous+AFRALO+Regional+Officersommunity.icann.org
of AFRALO.

I noted that there are both new and familiar names on both lists. I also
observed that most of the leaders 'grew' into another role. For example,
someone went from Secretary to Chair to ALAC member. There is a term limit
(2 years, re-electable).

I also want to refer to the very recent call for nominations for AFRALO
leaders. If you notice from this link
https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/2017+ALAC+and+RALO+Elections%2C+Selections+and+Appointments,
there was no competition. Read: No new names were nominated, therefore
there were no elections.

I would like to encourage all of us to actively participate in these
processes. If we want to see new names/faces, we should nominate and elect
new leaders. But most importantly, we should participate in working groups
and in our monthly calls.

Otherwise, I am happy to note that we are discussing this. I am also happy
to discuss this further during ROP calls.

Kind regards,

Sarah