[AFRI-Discuss] A blog on Ethiopia

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 08:42:52 UTC 2016

Hello, AFRALO.

I wanted to share this lovely blog from ICANN staff about something
happening in the African region, in Ethiopia.  I have visited Addis Ababa
often in the past and the blog reminds me of the city, its heritage and
culture, and its people.  And of course its coffee!

I am very glad that ICANN is helping the people of Ethiopia establish the
Ethiopic Generation Panel for its writing system.  The work of this
panel will be used to determine rules that would apply for IDN TLDs in
Ethiopic script.

If any of you are interested in doing something similar for your writing
system/script, please contact the IDN staff at ICANN (idntlds at icann.org).

I recently participated in the Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance
Forum held in Taiwan where ICANN organised a workshop to share updates on
similar work related to scripts of the Asia Pacific region.  The
representative from Thailand indicated that part of the positive effects of
the Thai Generation Panel work was that it helped them preserve their
writing system (and associated languages using the script) in the digital
age.  This helped them address concerns about dying languages.

Best regards,

Rinalia

Rinalia Abdul Rahim
Member of the ICANN Board of Directors