[AFRI-Discuss] [AfrICANN-discuss] Joint meeting of African community in BUENOS AIRES "African views on the Proposal of the Governance of Internet unique identifiers"

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:52:15 UTC 2015

Hello Mwendwa,

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
> wrote:

> Thank you Aziz,
>
> I know this statement was released a while ago, and we should have weighed
> in on it on time. I am guilty as charged.
>
> From the draft, I can see we have weighed in more on the transparency and
> accountability track, and the naming function of the IANA transition. We
> need to be balanced and "wholesome" in our statement. It would have been
> good if the community can also comment on the transition of the other two
> operational communities proposals, the IETF and the Numbering community. We
> all agree these are part of the "Internet unique Identifiers".
>
> I will draft a paragraph or two on the numbering functions. Perhaps, we
> can have somebody else do the same for the IETF proposal?

+1 will be good to have those as well, one of the reasons it was titled
that way is because of the proposal of the CWG which actually proposes a
new IFO for the 3 operational communities.

> However, I disagree with this statement on IANA trademarks:
> "We observe that the CWG proposes to transfer IANA assests (sic) including
> the IANA trademarks; we are in disagreement with this as we will prefer
> that the trademarks remain with the contractor post-transition (which is
> ICANN)"
>

> My observation would be to allow more dialogue between the three
> operational communities (names, numbers, protocol parameters) that utilize
> the IPR (iana.org and IANA trademarks), and ensure there is consensus on
> what to do with them. You will realize the numbering community had proposed
> the IPRs remain in the public domain by being transferred to a neutral
> entity which would then license the IPRs to the IFO to serve the
> operational communities in perpetuity for free. The idea was, in the
> unlikely event in future one community decides to transfer the IANA
> functions related to them, then they should still be able to access the IPR
> unrestricted.

As you have rightly noted, the numbers community has proposed something
different. I think what is important is that the AFRALO/AfriCANN community
proposes what they prefer as well. There is obviously going to be need for
the 3 communities to agree on quite a number of things based on the CWG
proposal and i think its better to leave that to the ICG to coordinate. So
while we may recommend the need for the 3 operational communities to
coordinate, its also important we state our preference as a community. You
may also note that this approach is synonymous to the numbers community
proposal as well.

> So the statement should have read something like "More dialogue is needed
> between the three operational communities (names, numbers, and protocol
> parameters) on transfer of IANA assets including the IANA trademark and
> iana.org domain. The community should ensure there is consensus in the
> final outcome."

I think we could add an overall statement like above (not just for
trademarks) but not remove our preferred preference. If majority of our
community prefers transferring to IETF trust as the CRISP team recommended
then we could specifically state that instead.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*