[AFRI-Discuss] Réunion AFRINIC-AfrICANN

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Oct 17 05:35:09 UTC 2014

Schombe,

On 16 October 2014 13:20, Baudouin Schombe <baudouin.schombe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Kivuva,
>
> I'm not sure that all governments actually participate in the activities of
> the GAC.

I said "most governments". Anyway, if a government does not participate in
GAC, do you expect it to have any stand on the IANA transition?

I propose that this issue be further upgrade of different platforms, more
> specifically, at the next IGF in national, regional and Africa level.

By the time we are holding the next rounds of IGF, the IANA transition
process will be behind us. Look at the timelines below. That is why several
mailing lists were setup, and different stakeholders advised of the need to
move with speed.

ICANN Timeline See: https://www.icann.org/stewardship
----------------------
August 2014:
Open comment period for ICG draft Charter

October 2014:
RFP for transition proposals
Open comment periods on ICG timelines
RFP for performance of Secretariat functions for ICG

8-12 February 2015: ICANN 52, Africa region.
21-26 June 2015: ICANN 53, Latin America

Oct 2015:
ICANN IANA functions contract expires

NRO timelines:
https://www.nro.net/nro-and-internet-governance/iana-oversight/timeline-for-rirs-engagement-in-iana-stewardship-transition-process
review/publication of the outcomes.
Dec 2014: Review of the outcome of all regional consultations for a first
attempt of consolidation
1 January 2015: Publish an RIR consolidated outcome for inputs and
discussion online by the community
15 January 2015: Submission of transition plan to the ICG
27 February 2015: ICG to produce draft transition plan
March - May 2015: NRO regional consultation about ICG draft transition plan

29 May 2015: Submission of response to draft transition plan to the ICG
26 June 2015: ICG to send final proposal to USG

The transition from IANA is a very relevant and deserves remark we
attracted the
> attention of our policy makers

Very true