[AFRI-Discuss] CALL FOR STATEMENTS OF INTEREST: ALAC-selected ICANN Board Member
ICANN At-Large Staff
staff at atlarge.icann.org
Wed Jul 21 11:16:43 CDT 2010
Call for Statements of Interest (SOIs) from ICANN's At-Large Community for consideration to be selected by the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) to serve as a (term-limited) member of the ICANN Board of Directors
21 July 2010
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is responsible for the global coordination of the Internet's system of unique identifiers – including domain names (such as .org and .museum), country codes (such as .uk and .ke) and the addresses used in a variety of Internet protocols – that help computers reach each other over the Internet. Without this coordination, we would not have one global Internet.
The At-Large Community and the ICANN Board seat
This Call for Statements of Interest (SOIs) is part of the new process through which the user community within ICANN will appoint one voting member of the ICANN Board. While acting in a personal capacity as a member of the ICANN Board, this member must be able to reflect the users' point of view and interests in the debate and decision making undertaken within the ICANN framework.
In seeking candidates for this post, ICANN's At-Large Community is looking for an individual with a broad international perspective and a background in Internet users' interests, consumer policy and/or civil society worldwide.
"At-Large" is the name of the community of individual Internet users involved in ICANN's policy development process. It currently consists of over 120 active At-Large organisations (called "At-Large structures" or "ALSes"), representing the opinions of the global community of Internet users. At-Large provides a means through which individual end users of the Internet worldwide can participate in the matters on which ICANN works, such as:
• Guidance on how to run Internationalized Domain Names (IDN);
• How to introduce new gTLDs (such as .info, .name and .museum); and
• How to implement a stable and fair transition from IPv4 to the next Internet addresses generation, IPv6.
To learn more about the At-Large Community and its activities, please see the main ICANN At-Large Web page (http://www.atlarge.icann.org ) or contact any of the ALSes in your country of residence. All ALSes are listed on the At-Large Structure Applications and Certification Process Web page (http://www.atlarge.icann.org/applications ).
What does an ICANN Board Director do?
· As a group, are responsible for exercising the powers of ICANN, controlling its property and conducting or directing its business and affairs, except as otherwise provided in ICANN's Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws (http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#VI );
• Serve as individuals who have the duty to act in what they reasonably believe are the best interests of ICANN and not as representatives of the entity that selected them, their employers or any other organizations or constituencies; and
• Are expected to support the ICANN mission and the implementation of ICANN's Core Values (as described in ICANN's Invitation for Statements of Interest and Suggestions for Candidates at http://nomcom.icann.org/invitation-2010.htm#roles ).
For more information regarding ICANN's Directors, please refer to both ICANN's Structure chart (http://www.icann.org/en/structure ) and its Board of Directors list (http://www.icann.org/en/general/board.html ).
The At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), on behalf of the At-Large Community, has prepared a list of the desirable characteristics and details of commitments for the At-Large-selected Board member. These appear on the Director's Criteria Web page (https://st.icann.org/absdt/index.cgi?director_s_criteria ).
Call for Statements of Interest
The At-Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee (BCEC) now calls for Statements of Interest (SOIs).
For more information regarding the BCEC, including member details, please see the At-Large Board Candidate Evaluation Committee Web page (https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?at_large_board_candidate_evaluation_committee ).
How to apply for consideration
To apply, please complete and submit the Statement of Interest (SOI) available at https://www.bigpulse.com/m9918/intro . The form can be submitted online or printed and either:
· Posted to At-Large Director Applications, ICANN, c/o Heidi Ullrich, 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 320, Marina del Rey, California 90292, USA; or
· Faxed to +1 310 823 8649.
To be considered, all SOIs must be:
Completed and submitted in English; and
Received by August 21, 2010, at 23:59 UTC.
Please feel free to e-mail the BCEC with any questions regarding SOIs or the application process at BCEC-Request at icann.org. The BCEC will respond to all inquiries.
For more information
The following Web pages are available for further information:
· At-Large Web page, regarding At-Large and ICANN (http://www.atlarge.icann.org );
• At-Large Advisory Committee's Workspace, containing links to Wiki pages and information sources (https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?at_large_advisory_committee );
• At-Large Director Selection Workspace (https://st.icann.org/working-groups/index.cgi?at_large_director_appointment_process );
• Public Comment (a community consultation, including public comment period, was held on a White Paper outlining the proposed At-Large Director selection process) (http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-05feb10-en.htm ); and
• ICANN/About (http://www.icann.org/en/about/ ).
Background of the At-Large-selected Board seat
The matter of the At-Large-selected Board seat(s) came from recommendations made by the ALAC Review Working Group in its report of 9 June 2009 (www.icann.org/en/reviews/alac/final-report-alac-review-09jun09-en.pdf ). The ICANN Board, in its August 2009 meeting, approved in principle the replacement of the ALAC Liaison to the Board by one Director, with full Board-member privileges, to be appointed from the At-Large Community.
The Board requested that the ALAC submit to the Board Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) a plan outlining how this Board member would be selected, with the intent of having the new member seated no later than ICANN's Annual Meeting in December 2010.
Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White, Marilyn Vernon, Kristina Nordström
ICANN At-Large Staff
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Call for Statements of Interest (SOIs) EN.pdf
Size: 77082 bytes
Desc: Call for Statements of Interest (SOIs) EN.pdf
More information about the AFRI-Discuss