[AFRI-Discuss] AfRALO Participation Document

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Wed Jul 15 12:39:33 CDT 2009

Dear Mohammed and others,

On 06 Jul 2009, at 8:28 PM, Mohamed EL Bashir wrote:
> As i promised on last AfRALO Teleconferences, please find attached
> my proposed document on AfRALO active participation document,The
> main objective this document is to list the available AfRALO
> participation channels and tools ( e.g AfRALO teleconferences,
> AfRALO mailing list, ..ect ), and set a minimum participation
> criteria for the participation of AfRALO members in order to
> encourage an active participation in ICANN policy development
> processes.

This is very kind of you and I agree with others comments that it is a
great effort. Thank you!

The following are my personal comments and do not necessarily reflect
the views of ISOC-ZA.

> Minimum Participation: ALS are encouraged to participate in AfRALO
> month teleconference, and maintain minimum of 50% of AfRALO yearly
> Teleconference “12 teleconference” ( 6 teleconference a year ). Any
> ALS will be participate in less than 50% of the teleconferences will
> be considered un-active member.

I have participated in one teleconference and attempted to participate
in two others. I am sorry that I found it very frustrating, it is
challenging to deal with the poor telecommunications infrastructure in
Africa. I found that combined with the challenge of real time
translation it is not workable for me. At this stage I cannot find
another volunteer who will do this. I suggest that another format must
be used if you want to drive teleconference participation.

> Minimum Participation: it’s not hard measure mailing list postings
> but members are required to participate and post a in a minimum 1
> discussed topic in a given month.

I have been through the mailing list and I'm not certain that there
are sufficient topics relevant to African development to insist on
this. In reality there are possibly only a couple of issues that ICANN
touches on that really effect African users. I am not certain if this
is one I will support although I am possibly missing the point.

> Minimum Participation: Online participation in wikis can differ from
> a member to another member, but AfRALO members should minimally
> contribute to one Wiki topic at a given month.

Similar to mailing list.

> Minimum Participation: African ALS are encouraged to participate in
> AfRALO GM .

This is a generic requirement and probably the one that I most agree
with although I suggest some minor changes.

- African ALS are required to vote in every AFRalo decision ALSs are
consulted on and require a vote (including appointment of new ALAC
members, policy decisions, polls, etc.) Should any ALS not vote on any
three consecutive voting opportunities they are removed as an ALS
(there will need to be various warnings should there be a vote and
this will need to be added to the bylaws if it is to hold any weight).

If there is any further participation requirement I would add:
- African ALS are required to inform all their members of AfRALO
activities and opportunities to participate, as well as any ICANN
activities that may directly effect them.
- African ALS are required to initiate and participate in any
discussion that directly relates to African Internet Users.

Please feel free to flame me :)

warm regards to you all,

Alan