[AFRI-Discuss] [Fwd: [Africanchapters] Dubai ICANN regional meeting report]

Khaled KOUBAA khaled.koubaa at topnet.tn
Sat Apr 5 10:09:23 EDT 2008

Dear Colleague,

ICANN has concluded its second regional outreach meeting and first one
in the Middle East and North Africa region in Dubai from 1 to 3 April 2008.
I am happy to see such effort to join effort from stakeholders in the
region to achieve ICANN mission.
The meeting was for me a success, and will create new participation
channel from our region.
Mr Mohamed AL Ghanim, Director General, Telecom Regulatory Authority of
UAE and Mr Paul Twomey, President & CEO, ICANN opened the meeting where
special keynoter and personalities from region and outside as Mr Talal
Abu-Ghazaleh, Chairman, TAGOrg, Director, Technical Affairs, TRA,
Mohammed Gheyath, participated in launching the work.
The first day was concluded after a presentation of the ICANN Multi
stakeholder model and very good presentation of Dr Al Zoman about the
Arabic Script. The second day was dedicated fully to the IDN where we
were specially happy to see the work of the Arabic Script IDN Working
Group (ASIWG).
The third day was more focusing on business by presenting some
registries and some success registrar story form region such as
TAGDomains and KuwaitNet, and some presentation about the new gTLDs process.
I hope that ICANN strategic plan is to organize another outreach meeting
in Africa, as I am sure all of you agree with me that we need such meeting.
This is why I hope that Anne-Rachel will do the best to help on this.

Khaled KOUBAA