[WHOIS-WG] Thick Whois

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Sat Jan 12 17:05:28 UTC 2013

While on the subject, it is worth noting,  as Michele Neylon pointed out
on his blog, that the .Cat Registry Whois Now Respects EU Privacy Laws
http://www.internetnews.me/2013/01/10/cat-registry-whois-now-respects-eu-privacy-laws/

Of course, the ICANN process to allow a contracted party to simply obey
the law is  than optimal. It could be made less burdensome by simply
including a one-liner in agreements stating that the the provisions
regarding the WHOIS which are contrary to the local law are void.

Anyway, this once again demonstrates that the current WHOIS system is
broken, and that we need a replacement ASAP. The work on WEIRDS/RDAP is
well advanced, as are several open source implementations.
It will allow differentiated access. However, it is not up to IETF to
draft the policies regarding this. One suggestion the ALAC could make is
to start right away with designing the policy side. It will take time.
So, the sooner the ICANN community begins, the sooner we will have a
working replacement for the WHOIS that will, at the same time, both
address the LEAs concerns and repect the fundamental rights to privacy
and free speech.

--
Patrick Vande Walle

Twitter: twitter.vande-walle.eu <http://twitter.vande-walle.eu>