[Registrants-rights] Plain Language Summary of Registrant Rights and Responsibilities

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu May 31 19:40:58 UTC 2012

> This is EXACTLY the kind of issue that provides fodder to the ICANN bashers
> out there. I would rather have the terms of a third-party-beneficiary
> clause negotiated within ICANN than forced from the outside by various
> national laws, in a hodgepodge manner that benefits nobody.

I suppose, but given limited time and political capital, I think it'd be
more productive to push ICANN to enforce the rules that already exist.

Also, a third party beneficiary rule would not be an unalloyed good thing.
While it would make it easier for Bill and Dan Balsam to go after spammers
and other online criminals, it'd also give trademark lawyers yet another
stick to use to attack innocent bystanders and legitimate parodists.

Regards,