[RAA-WG] [At-Large] Open letter to ICANN

Hugh Dierker hdierker2204 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 12:24:17 CDT 2009

Gentle folks,

This is really a very helpful exchange from different perspectives. (I would suggest however that because someone has different life experiences and emphasizes different priorities that we not call them naive, simply because they are not well versed in our experience)

Criminal Law Enforcement agencies enforce the law. Obviously the law depends on the jurisdiction. Civil courts, tribunals and agencies enforce civil and contractual obligations. Obviously the interpretations of contracts and standards depends on the jurisdiction.
Sometimes spam is criminal, sometimes a breach of a civil obligation, and even sometimes perfectly legal and appropriately contracted.

Providing false information in exchange for a benefit is almost always fraud. Fraud is both criminal and a tort in every jurisdiction I am aware of from Sierra Del Fuego to Inchon to Moscow to Jerusalem to Johannesburg.

But when this fraud is committed who and how much does it hurt? Negligible at best to any given victim or plaintiff. Therefor not worth going after, further than shutting down the cause of injury. What ICANN can do is to establish standards for establishing higher per se or "statutory damages". Or in the strictly contractual arena liquidated damage clauses.
This would build in real penalties for abuse and give incentive to both civil and criminal prosecutors to go after the bastards. Like a free enterprise system for barristers and solicitors.

ICANN should not enforce, other than their contracts. But they should aid enforcement.