[RAA-WG] End the Registrar Secrecy in RAA

Gary Cc Li gli at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 7 03:08:03 CST 2008

To members of the Registrar Accrediation Agreement (RAA) Working Group,

I am writing to you to request a change in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement that will improve transparency and accountability. It has come to my attention as an Internet user that there is no requirement in the standard Registrar contract to that requires public disclosure of Registrar ownership or location. I am concerned that this loophole in the agreement opens the door to fraud, secrecy and consumer abuse. Please consider adding the following language or equivalent to the RAA:

"All Accredited Registrars must submit main office location, including country, to be publicly disclosed in ICANN web directory. Post Office boxes, Incorporation addresses, and mail-forwarding locations will not be acceptable. Registrars must also provide for public display the name of CEO or President. ICANN must be notified within 30 days of a location or presiding officer change.”

In addition, I noticed that many of the spam UCE messages that end up in my mail have "complied" with the Can-Spam Act passed several years ago. They list an "address" where one may supposedly write and send postal letters requesting email address removal. Considering the fact that Unsubscribe websites are generally fraudulent and do none of what they claim, I have reasonable suspicions about any address or other promises made by spammers and other unscrupulous types. Therefore, I demand that any location information submitted to ICANN, including President name and physical address, be accurate and real. No false addresses located in an vacant storefront or abandoned building. No fake names such as John Q. Smith.

Without public disclosure there cannot be true transparency, accountability or trust. I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

Gary Li
paying Knujon.org member
Honolulu, Hawaii