[RAA-WG] Transparency required

Derek Smythe derek at aa419.org
Mon Nov 3 02:03:15 CST 2008

Hi Everybody

Please see http://www.knujon.com/news.html#11022008 - End Registrar
Secrecy - You Can Help!

'A review of the RAA is currently underway and KnujOn is seeking that
the following language (or equivalent) be added to the RAA:

"All Accredited Registrars must submit main office location, including
country, to be publicly disclosed in ICANN web directory. Post Office
boxes, Incorporation addresses, and mail-forwarding locations will not
be acceptable. Registrars must also provide for public display the name
of CEO or President. ICANN must be notified within 30 days of a location
or presiding officer change.” '

I support this call for transparency. Registrants certainly have the
right to know who they are dealing with, where their credit card details
will go, who will be giving them support etc.

I myself have had occasion to talk to a support team in Eastern Europe
for a domain that was not functioning, for a registrar supposedly in the
USA, then waiting for European day staff to arrive to finally resolve
the issue.

Additionally, I would also like to know where to whom my credit card
details and other personal information will go if I register a domain,
certainly I have this right? As can be seen from the above article on
KnujOn, this is an extremely valid point.

By the same token, I believe a similar version of the above provision
should apply to providers of privacy services. How can the current RAA,
item 3.7.7.3,  be applied without this information?
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm#3.7.7.3

Without this information, we will forever be fighting a battle of smoke
and mirrors, yet what is needed is trust and honesty.

Thank you

Derek Smythe