[RAA-WG] [At-Large] Fourth possibly final draft of RAA comments

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Mon Sep 17 02:56:19 CDT 2007

John L wrote:
>> 2) WHOIS
>> WHOIS should not be a publicly available database.
>
> Registering a domain is not a license for registrants to harass Internet
> users anonymously.  The publicly available WHOIS is an essential facility
> to protect the vast, vast majority of at-large users who have never
> registered a domain and never will.

I'd agree, though I still have reservations about some aspects of this.
However, as has been noted here and elsewhere, whois is not a topic
people can really agree on. It would be better for all parties concerned
to not get too bogged down in it, as there are other points on which
some level of consensus has been reached

>> Privacy laws do prevail in this circumstance.
>
> Oh, then we agree, since as I would hope everyone was aware, the United
> States, where ICANN and the largest registrars are located, has no
> meaningful privacy laws.

Very true

> Needless to say, consensus on this point in this group is unlikely any
> time in the near future.

Also agreed.

--
Mr Michele Neylon