[RAA-WG] Comments on the comments

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon Aug 20 11:02:10 CDT 2007

All,

here is some feedback on the comments provided by several people.

About the beneficiaries of the contract, that's something we should add.
Fine also with strengthening the request for registrant protection in
the principles section.

Agree on acknowledging and commending current work on registry escrow
and similar programs. In fact, please feel free to point out any place
in the document where we ask for something that is already existing - I
did my best to check, but certainly I may have missed something.

On the various comments on 3.3.*, the Whois provisions of the RAA are
subject to a separate (quite controversial) policy making process, so
they will not be amended through this process - proposing specific
language for them will not really fly. However, nothing prevents us from
adding a "whois" section as an additional issue, and stating our general
principles and proposals about registrant data protection. In any case,
I encourage anyone who is interested to join the GNSO Whois working
group, even if it has basically finished its work.

On the comment on 3.7.10-12, you are right, but in any case it is in the
interest of the registrar to add those clauses to their contract with
the registrant, so they already do so - there is no need to make it
compulsory.

On the should/could etc, most of what we propose is under the form of a
request to ICANN, rather than of detailed contractual language, and I
found it more courteous to say that "ICANN should..." rather than "ICANN
must...". Of course contractual languages should (must) say "must"...
isn't that clear enough?

Thanks,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------