[NA-Discuss] Followup on group Action item for NARALO members

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:53:39 UTC 2023

Hi Glenn,

I have two ideas for relevant speakers. I'm not sure they are available,
but that doesn't take away from their relevance to ICANN & NARALO.

*Idea #1:*

Speaker: Dr. Milton Mueller <https://icannwiki.org/Milton_Mueller>
Topic: Internet Governance, Multistakeholder Model, Sovereignty & The
Global (Ostrom) Commons

Background:
Dr. Mueller gave a lecture at the Fifth Annual Vincent and Elinor Memorial
Lecture
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjD98DDfpe0&list=PLP-XSUq8yCJmIDyM_-qyHVEXfomsELDA8&index=11>
in 2018 which touches on important Internet Governance issues for end
users. Note: The lecture has bad sound quality until minute 22.

A description of the lecture is as follows:

Cyberspace is one of the most critical resource domains in contemporary
society. The principle of state sovereignty is one of the most important
concepts underpinning the world’s governance institutions. This lecture
will examine the relationship between the two. Based on an analysis of the
techno-economic features of the domain, it questions the desirability and
practicality of sovereignty in cyberspace, and explores the applicability
of global commons models to cyberspace. While I will show that
self-governance by a transnational Internet community is both possible and
in many respects already exists, the military significance of the cyber
domain and the mounting tensions between national authority over
information and communications and the globalized capabilities of the
Internet means that governance in cyberspace must take state power into
account. But does this mean we are doomed to revert to the territorially
fragmented governance of a sovereignty-based model? Or can some way be
found to reconcile the two?

*Idea #2:*

Speaker: Mark Nottingham <https://www.mnot.net/personal/resume/>

Topic: RFC 8890: The Internet is for End Users
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8890>

Background:

Mark Nottingham authored "RFC 8890: The Internet is for End Users" in 2020
while was a member of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB). Although RFC
8890 did not specifically account for the ICANN End User stakeholder, the
perspectives of an Internet end user and an ICANN end user have great
overlap. It would be interesting to explore this overlap of perspectives
with Mark if he's available.

Cheers,

David