[NA-Discuss] Indigenous Lands -LA, California

Greg Shatan [ALAC] gregshatanalac at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 05:23:46 UTC 2022

The Los Angeles Times had an article about the Tongva today:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-10-10/after-nearly-200-years-the-tongva-community-has-land-in-los-angeles-county

With a link to an earlier article about the Tongva language: Tongva, Los
Angeles’ first language, opens the door to a forgotten time and place - Los
Angeles Times (latimes.com)
<https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-col1-tongva-language-native-american-tribe/#nt=00000183-c010-d88c-a7db-fcb3a04e0015-showMedia-title-promoSmall-enhancement>

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 6:27 PM Glenn McKnight via NA-Discuss <
na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> It's very common that meetings in Canada acknowledge the historical lands
> of the indigenous people who preceded the European settlements.  We may
> want to replicate this idea at our GA
>
> The W hotel is located on the ancestral lands of the Tongva.
>
> See article in NPR
> https://www.npr.org/2022/10/10/1127837659/native-land-map-ancestral-tribal-lands-worldwide
> A MAPPING project of indigenous lands
> https://native-land.ca/
>
> Background on the Tongva
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongva
>

> Glenn McKnight, MA
> Virtual School of Internet Governance
> Chief Information Officer
> www.virtualsig.org
> *YOUR SOURCE FOR INTERNET GOVERNANCE EDUCATION *
> *Mobile  437-237-4655*

*Greg Shatan*
*Chair, NARALO*