[NA-Discuss] My ALAC Candidacy

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Tue May 11 16:16:17 UTC 2021

Greetings fellow North Americans...and Puerto Rico! 😉

I have been nominated to serve a second term as a NARALO representative to the ALAC.  Thanks again, for the nomination! I've been asked to compose a brief note, to support my candidacy, so I thought I would speak a little to my ongoing goals, work from the last term and plans going forward.  The At-Large Community is large, complex and sometimes overly bureaucratic, so it can be a challenge to efficiently participate in ICANN Policy Development and be "on the same page" when doing outreach to the broader community. As an Advisory Committee, our influence is a function of two things: our perspective and our consensus. If we focus on being the voice of "individual end user" interests and we express those interests in unified fashion, there's a great deal we can accomplish. I think we have a way to go, to get there, but we're making progress.

During the past two years, we've become more systematic in our policy development, focusing our efforts on the CPWG or Consolidated Policy Working Group. Through the efforts of our dedicated volunteers, we have all but eliminated much of the inconsistency in our comments, in previous years. We've begun to create a virtuous "feedback loop" between our work group volunteers and the CPWG so that these volunteers feel better supported and the resolution of challenges is a consensus, rather than individual, exercise. We've enshrined these aspirations in our new course: ICANN Policy Development: A Guide for At-Large Participants (AtLarge.news/Policy<http://AtLarge.news/Policy>). It's my hope that we evolve even further, in this direction, and address issues, at the point of the Issue Report, rather than waiting until a public request for comment. In a way, the PDP 3.0 "Representational Model" is where we were already headed so we are well prepared for the next phase of GNSO policy development.

Finally, I believe we could make more of our network. We have an amazing network of RALOs, ALSs and individual members that could be enlisted for both feedback and concerted outreach in areas such as DNS Abuse education and universal acceptance.  It would be my objective to continue to experiment with surveys, focus groups and social media exercises that cross RALO boundaries and demonstrate to the ICANN community that we are a communications and research organization, with whom to reckon!

I hope this brief note puts my intentions in clear focus and I look forward to any questions, prior to the election! Thanks again for the nomination.
Jonathan

Jonathan Zuck |  Executive Director  |  Innovators Network

jzuck at innovatorsnetwork.org<mailto:jzuck at innovatorsnetwork.org> | O 202.827.7594 | D 202.420.7483

[See the source image]Jonathan-zuck<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-zuck/> | [See the source image]  jvzuck<https://twitter.com/Jvzuck> | [See the source image]  jonathanzuck<https://www.instagram.com/jonathanzuck/> | [See the source image]  Jonathan.zuck<https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.zuck/>

[signature_1023473624]