[NA-Discuss] The societal harm of domaining, episode 413

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Thu Feb 11 14:03:35 UTC 2021

Evan, as a champion of the small guy, you oddly now find yourself aligned
with the organization who wrote the CircleID piece, CALinnovates, a known
astroturfer that was a shill for big tech against net neutrality (See for
example;
https://www.propublica.org/article/mysterious-campaign-appears-to-be-latest-salvo-in-net-neutrality-battle,
and also see;
https://www.google.com/search?q=calinnovates+astroturfer&oq=calinnovates+astroturfer&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.6658j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
)

If you are against the right to sell domain names in the secondary market,
it is incumbent upon you to explain how banning a competitive free market
would work. As we explained in the presentation to NARALO, there is no way
of doing it and it in fact shouldn’t be done.

NARALO presentation (starting at minute 10:00) -
https://icann.zoom.us/rec/play/LfORcCZnTrbE0oMfgh2QMyEqqksEZtI_kgEmG9S4flgJitfbh-zpX964pnY62geXinoXsdUARCbjzH0x.2yWFWWXwQKS61a64?startTime=1607976067000&_x_zm_rtaid=wMPQjNhzREK_de3nXgz7vA.1607991589917.95835cca2d23933b56d2f01ff8d0a63e&_x_zm_rhtaid=343

Also, when protecting small businesses, some attention should surely be
given to the one area where domain name prices are objectively inflated,
namely the primary market where the registry operator overcharges
registrants around the world cumulatively around $1 billion per year.

Regards,

Nat