[NA-Discuss] UPDATE ON MAILCARD

Javier Rua javrua at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 02:01:52 UTC 2017

U.S.A. will do.  "America" could be problematic, since it can be criticized as a cultural appropriation of a geographic term which describes two continents (and perhaps all the peoples of the New World).

PS: Bit of a pet peeve of mine: in Spanish we can call people from the USA "estadounidenses", which would literally translate to "Unitedstatesians".  I find "estadounidense" quite proper and sufficiently descriptive. However, many of us still fall into the pitfall of describing, particularly Anglophone "Unitedstatesians", as "Americanos". (On a side note, a friend, Tim Unwin, is actually encouraging everyone to call the people of the USA "USAns" (pronounced you-ess-ns)).

The only nation that would have standing to object the "estadounidense" demonym is Mexico, since the official name of that republic is United States of Mexico. But I don't think Mexicans would like to be called "estadounidenses" (especially in the Trump age!).  This discussion is not irrelevant since -by definition- language defines everything (pun intended). Take for example the historic election of Francis as Pope (and note that I'm not religious person). Everybody and the media celebrated him as the first "Latin American" Pope.  But Francis is much more than that: He is the First Pope from the New World; the first non-European Pope; the First AMERICAN Pope; period!!

Javier Rúa-Jovet

+1-787-396-6511
twitter: @javrua
skype: javier.rua1