[NA-Discuss] Reminder:--Seeking Regional Advice on the application of a new ALS The Association of Internet Users

Judith Hellerstein judith at jhellerstein.com
Thu Aug 18 18:00:06 UTC 2016

HI David,

According to our Rules of Procedure if John's ALS, The Association of Internet
Users is accepted than he loses his individual membership.  Individual
memberships are only for people who are unaffiliated with any existing ALS.
However, the regional advice is to no to approve the ALS than it goes to ALAC
for approval and they could still approve his ALS even if he does not have
regional approval.

However, if the ALS is not approved by ALAC and the regional advice from NARALO
is not to approve than John retains his unaffiliated status as long as he is not
a member of any existing ALS.

ALSes have a vote in elections and get to send one representative to the GA.
Individuals do not each have a vote instead the elected representative of the
unaffiliated individuals casts the vote for the group and also it is this person
or an elected rep who goes to the GAa nd represents the voice of the
unaffiliated.  Hope this answers your questions, but if not feel free to ask.

Best,

Judith

Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
Hellerstein & Associates
3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
E-mail: Judith at jhellerstein.com   Website: www.jhellerstein.com
Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide

On 8/18/2016 1:43 PM, David Vyorst wrote:
  > Hi All,
  > While I completely respect the and understand the opinions expressed against
accepting the application, I know John personally and have been familiar with
his work for some years. I'm certain that his organization will grow with in a
short amount of time, and in fact make a positive and valuable contribution.
Thus, from my vantage point a forward looking perspective would lean towards
accepting the application.  I admit to not being the most knowledgeable person
in this discussion about the implications of this, so I will pose 2 questions:
Can his individual membership be terminated if the organizational one is
accepted? and what is the downside of allowing this?