[NA-Discuss] NARALO General Assembly

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jan 26 09:14:32 UTC 2015

On 26 January 2015 at 00:10, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> Although I think that this is a great idea and has the potential for
> getting a lot of out NARALO members more informed and possibly involved
> with ARIN, there are considerations that may make it difficult.
>
> - The ARIN meeting is on Thursday, October 8 and Friday, October 9. That
> is just a few days before the start of the pre-ICANN events for ICANN 54 in
> Dublin (and since this is an Annual General Meeting of ICANN, there tend to
> be more activities in the week preceding the formal meeting (October
> 17-23). It would be difficult to have support from At-Large Staff and
> Constituency Travel.

​Personally I was thinking ​of having the GA on the 6th and 7th, before the
ARIN meeting. Then perhaps we could get sponsorship for some of those
wanting an extra night or two to stay for the ARIN meeting

> - Two other regions have already indicated that they plan to request a
> General Assembly (EURALO and AFRALO), so a third one may be a bit of a hard
> sell in one budget year. Although potentially the NA GA could be funded in
> lieu of another region, the timing above makes that less likely.

​That's what happens when there is no long-term planning for this kind of
thing. And, based on past years, chances are high that ALL might get
rejected.

​​
> - Glenn's note proposes to hold the GA "during" the ARIN meeting. Is that
> really what was meant? If the meetings overlap, doesn't that negate the
> benefit of holding the two meetings in the same location? I presumed that
> the intent was to hold the GA immediately before or after the ARIN meetings.

​See above.​

​Note that there is more than casual relevance for the timing and location.
This is a milestone year, with the MoU being signed ​between NARALO and
ARIN in Singapore. It would be a great opportunity for these two new
partners to get to know each other, to give substance to the relationship.
As well, a location in the fall in the northeast minimizes travel expenses
for quite a few different reasons. Maybe we could even coax the Chair of
ALAC to attend if the extra expense isn't too high.

​Of course, the best scenario is for NARALO and ARIN to discuss the
suitability of this​ when many of our people meet in Singapore to determine
feasibility. But the inflexibility of the program submission deadlines will
not allow this, so we have to go with the information at hand.

​- Evan
​