[NA-Discuss] THANK YOU! From me and my father

Garth Bruen gbruen at knujon.com
Tue Oct 21 13:38:39 UTC 2014

Thank you all for you participation at the ICANN Los Angeles meeting.

I want to especially thank Glenn, Evan, and Anthony for filling my shoes
while I was occupied.

I also want to recognize the contribution of Loris Taylor for providing the
cultural resources which show that our efforts are about real people, and
that our work has true meaning. Names and Numbers should serve us, not the
other way around.

My father's passing is obviously a great personal loss, but he was also a
long-term contributor to the technical and political growth of the Internet.
He was physically involved in cutting through walls and climbing through
tunnels at MIT's campus to connect the first portions of the Internet.  He
was also extremely proud of the work At-Large has done to keep Internet
policy in the public sphere and enjoyed working with all of you. I have
attached his full obituary at the end.

-Garth

-------------------------------------

Garth Bruen
gbruen at knujon.com
Chair of ICANN At-Large North America (naralo.org)
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/149/724
Twitter: @Knujon
Skype: gobruen

"If history is deprived of the Truth, we are left with nothing but an idle,
unprofitable tale" -Polybius

-------------------------------------

Dr. Robert David "Bob" Bruen

Beloved son, brother, father, grandfather and husband Bob Bruen, 67, of
Wilmington Vermont died peacefully on October 7 2014 following a brave
battle with cancer at Grace Cottage Hospital in Townshend Vermont. Born in
Melrose, Massachusetts in 1947 to Robert and Mary Bruen, Bob was raised in
Malden with his two brothers and two sisters. A track star at Malden High
School, Bob went on to Northeastern University with a track scholarship and
held state records for decades. Bob earned advanced degrees from Harvard
University, Boston University, Simmons College, and a PhD from Boston
College. Bob had also been a resident of Newton, Massachusetts for most of
his life before moving to Vermont.

Before "computer" was a household word Bob visualized how data and process
could be effectively managed through his work as a librarian at Northeastern
University. Eventually entering the new field of Systems Administration, Bob
brought his insight to ARCON Corporation, Sanders Associates (now BAE), and
Perkin-Elmer Corporation. The bulk of his work occurred at M.I.T.  in four
different labs as the systems manager of the Aeronautics and Astronautics
Department, Laboratory for Nuclear Science, Whitehead Institute Center for
Genome Research, and the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems
respectively. Bob's last position was at the MESO Atmospheric Research
Forecasting and Research Center. His dedication to supporting systems that
supported society was unparalleled.

Also a passionate teacher, Bob instructed at Babson College, Merrimack
College, Springfield Technical Community College, University of
Massachusetts Lowell, and the University of Connecticut Storrs. Bob's
scientific curiosity drove him to assist in the discovery of 36 new prime
numbers for the Prime Internet Eisenstein Search (PIES) and document the
history of the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics in his doctoral thesis.  Bob
also co-created Project KnujOn, an Internet compliance monitoring system,
with his son Garth Bruen.

A public, non-denominational memorial service for Bob will be held on
Saturday November 1, 2014 at the Harvard University Memorial Sanctuary
Church in Harvard Yard, Cambridge Massachusetts. The hall will open at 10:00
AM and the service will begin at 11:00 AM followed by an offsite gathering
to be announced at the service.

Bob's remains were donated to Harvard Medical School where his lifelong
journey of education and discovery continues.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Grace Cottage Foundation, 185
Grafton Road Townshend Vermont 05353-0216.