[NA-Discuss] Cities, Citizens, and Internet Governance - A submission to NETmundial

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sat Mar 15 06:14:26 UTC 2014

Louis,

You asked: are cities inside or outside the Geo Constituency? Both.

Cities that operate registries should work within the GNSO Registry
Stakeholders Group on matters that relate to the ICANN's DNS technical
responsibilities.

But the concerns and responsibilities of cities range beyond strictly
DNS technical matters and the scope of the GNSO - with access, privacy,
security, and training, being some of the more apparent.

And while tradition holds these areas are not within ICANN's realm, I'm
thinking about cities and their needs and how they might be addressed.
As cities don't compete in many respects, it's reasonable to imagine
them cooperating in areas such as these. And they require a venue to
share governance experiences and best practices within their TLDs and
otherwise.

Where should these be? Entities that traditionally connect cities are
one possibility, e.g., United Cities and Local Governments
<http://www.uclg.org/en>or the C40 <http://www.c40.org/>. There are
newly emerged entities such as ICANN that are based on global
connectivity. And there's always the ITU, which seems to be in an
expansive mood.

It seems a more diversely governed ICANN would be a more democratic
institution, with cities having an advisory role at the board level, and
with a broadened At-Large significantly strengthening its
multi-stakeholder operation.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt