[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Name.com hijacking subdomains

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Mar 6 21:44:53 UTC 2013

>From the NYC Tech Meetup

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anthony Zeoli <az at digitalstrategyworks.com>
Date: Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Subject: [newtech-1] Name.com hijacking subdomains
To: newtech-1 at meetup.com

Hi everyone,

One of our old NYTM members, Jonathan Vanasco (who doesn't post much
anymore, if at all) asked me to report this out to the group.

If you're using Name.com, you should be aware that if you have not actively
set your subdomains to return null or redirect to your main domain, it
seems that Name.com is redirecting all subdomains to their servers. I
believe if someone types in a subdomain on your domain and spells it wrong,
they're going to get taken to a Name.com page.

Jonathan asked me to raise this on the list so everyone is aware.

See more on this here: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5299534

I'm not 100% clear on this - there's so much in the thread to read, but
from my understanding of it, if you have a domain registered at Name.com,
they're privately making sure that if anyone types in a subdomain
incorrectly, it will revert to them and not you, making people think your
site might be down, when it's not.

The link may or may not have solutions to this issue. I'm kinda busy
tonight, so I haven't vetted this thoroughly enough - but wanted to put it
out there so if you're a Name.com customer, you can check into this
yourself and see how their redirects on your domain affect you.

Digital Strategy Works
WordPress | Digital Strategy | IA & UxD
✉ az at digitalstrategyworks.com | Visit Our
Site<http://www.digitalstrategyworks.com>
☎ 917.705.4700
Twitter: @dswks | Facebook: digitalstrategyworks

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com