[NA-Discuss] Regional Advice on .HEALTH Objection

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Mar 6 04:41:33 UTC 2013

The WHO is obviously aware of the process, having applied before.

It could have applied in this round as a community application, and had an
immediate leg up on others, but chose not to. Why it would apply then and
not now is puzzling, but it has made the decision to not contend for the
string and other entries should not be enjoined simply because they are not
the WHO. And as interesting as the 2000 application was, the fact remains
that it was not granted. If its existence is not well known, the reasons
for its rejection at that time are even less known.

In any case, that was then and this is now. There is no WHO application for
.health at this time. There may indeed be sensible reasons to advance some
or all of objections against the Latin-string applications(*), but putting
the string on hold while waiting for the WHO to (maybe) apply for it at a
later round is not one of those reasons. Nobody -- with the possible
exception for dot-brands based on invented words -- is merely entitled to
any string. And given the conduct of the WHO and other IGOs in the current
GNSO working group regarding non-profit name blocking, I actually have
little reason to believe that their interests in gTLDs are any less
self-serving than the for-profits.

(*) Based on recent feedback from Hong, Rinalia and Cheryl, I oppose
advancing any objections on the Chinese variant.

- Evan