[NA-Discuss] Suspension of Posting Privileges for Eric Brunner Williams

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Fri Jun 21 16:07:46 UTC 2013

Hi Annalisa,

Our Code of Conduct can be seen here:  https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/RALO+Organising+Documents.

Our Chair can add conditions to re-instatement before a person is allowed back on the list.  This particular case was discussed with the ALAC Chair as well as the NARALO leadership and this course was accepted.  The Code of Conduct is a document that was agreed to by the NARALO.  This action was also not taken upon just one instance of a violation of the Code of Conduct.  This was the third time showing a pattern of abuse.  Garth really did not want to take this action because of the perception of a "rival to his position" being silenced.  However, as Chair, he did have to take action because this was about abuse of our members.

Please note, very clearly, that EBW was NOT an election candidate.  He was asked on many occasions to submit three lines of type that would have served as his SOI to become an individual member of the NARALO.  At no time did he do this.  This was his choice.  Please see our Rules of Procedure (in the link above), paragraph 16 that clearly states what is necessary.

As Secretariat, I have to keep the lines of communication open so that is why I am responding to your e-mail - to point you to the relevant documentation and to inform on the process that our region follows.  If you disagree with the reasoning herein - then that would require a change to either our Code of Conduct or our Rules of Procedure.  If anybody feels that this should be done, then please quote the section of either document that you do not agree with and put it out to the region as a general discussion.

Thank you,

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP